Why are my battery wires over heating?!? (Video)

Participant count
  • Participants list

ThomasG
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
The wires to my amplifier were not hot at all. However the wires for my car from the positive were all very hot. They even melted the battery and their casing's as you can see in the video. I am baffled. Could wire corrosion cause this because there is some corrosion on the wires.

O ****. Could this happen from jump starting? I had to jump start the **** out of my car this morning cause I left my lights on. Just read this on Wiki...

Cranking current drawn through light-gauge cables in this way will damage them by overheating; electrical resistance of a smaller wire is higher than that of a larger wire, and resistance dissipates electrical energy into heat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.