Yep,thats right. Another noob to the audio world. Questions on my setup.

chris015
10+ year member

sc
Alright. Never had a sub system before until now. Ran across a "beginners" set up on craigslist.

2 12" 4ohm rockford fosgate p2 subs 500 watt max 250 rms

1200 watt 2 channel sony xplod amp. with a built shared ported box.

Got a 4 gauge amp kit for it,wired it all up. Sounds ok.

Questions i have is about getting the most out of it. The amp goes into protection mode and shuts off once it gets so loud so either settings are off or im just asking for too much out of these subs.

Ive learned about the bass gains on the amp,I still know little to nothing about the "level 0.3v etc" setting and the low pass filter. Im starting to understand it,but meh its just going over my head.

Ive been studying wiring diagrams etc for the subs. I used my professional skills with MsPaint and made a picture of how they were wired. Not too sure if its right.

edit : it wouldnt let me post the link...wtf?

Basically its wired like this...

connectors on box that goes to sub goes to + and - as needed,then the + goes to the + on the other side of the sub,same with the -

edit : looked at crutchfields wiring diagrams. apparently this turns the subs into a 2 ohm set up.

each dvc is wired like that to the connectors that lead to the amp. Is that "good enough" or is there a better route to wire them?

The wiring sounds good, thats a basic parallel set up and you get the most out of the amp at 2 ohms. Secondly the gain should be set to the voltage that your preouts on your headunit have. Let me know what HU you have and I'll see what I can do about telling you what to set it on. As far as the amp shutting off at high volume.....either its overheating (very possible) or drawing to much current and the electrical system cannot handle it...are the lights dimming like an MFer?

Lights slightly dim,just barely noticeable. My truck has a 2400 stall and low gearing so im constantly over 2000 rpm which im sure helps the alternator even in slow traffic. For the head unit its a Pioneer Super Tuner III. il google it myself and see what the voltage is.

edit : So i cant find the exact "super tuner III" i have. but according to the website of the super tuner that looks similar to what i have it says :

Preout Voltage & Impedance 2.2V, 1k Ohm

I THINK thats what your looking for. il do some more digging

found it! i think....99% sure its it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DEHP370/Pioneer-DEH-P3700MP.html?tp=5684&tab=features_and_specs

You should do your big 3 upgrade its not hard its cheap and it should stop the dimming lights it will also make it easier on the amp and it may sound a little better. If your setting are right and you do your big 3 and it is still going into protect eeven though it should be the amp might not be 2 ohm stable when loud.

U dont need a Big 3, ure not stressing ure system nearly enough. Its going to protect because its overheating, ure gains to high, because that sonys not puttin out crap, sorry but ure getting maybe 400-500rms TOPS out of that amp, thats why ure pushing it so hard, thoughs subs want 1000watts. U need to get an amp that does rated. Can can get one for 100 on up, what would be ure price range for a new amp?

Lights will always dim somewhat from voltage flex, its no biggie unless ure dimming enough to effect your night driving

On your HU the sub lvl should be at max, and ure gain should be about 2-3oclock. U set gain for voltage preouts, not for what u think sounds good.

hmm i think the problem here is that the amp is bridged at 2 ohm which it would only be stable down to 4ohm. i would suggest wiring each sub to seperate channel to see if the amp stops gong into protect. otherwise its time for a better amp. and a new deck wouldnt hurt either as that one looks to be limited on features

If your wired at 2ohms in your box, and ure running parallel to the amp thats 1ohm. That could also be why ure overheating. Ure DVC subs, so there either at 2 or 4ohms in the box.

Your amp does 250rms X 2 @ 2ohms. Since u have DVC 4ohms wires them in parallel from sub to box terminals. Then run the wires from each terminal to each pos and neg on amp. That will be a 2ohm load each

That amp should be fine man, i thought they were p3's 500rms. So i think once u get it wired correctly it should be cool

EDIT: finally saw u posted how it wired, there in parallel to the terminals, thats 2omhs each. Are u running 2 sets of wires unbridged to each sub(2ohm load each channel) or do u have one set of wires powering both(1ohm)?

If your wired at 2ohms in your box, and ure running parallel to the amp thats 1ohm. That could also be why ure overheating. Ure DVC subs, so there either at 2 or 4ohms in the box.

Your amp does 250rms X 2 @ 2ohms. Since u have DVC 4ohms wires them in parallel from sub to box terminals. Then run the wires from each terminal to each pos and neg on amp. That will be a 2ohm load each

That amp should be fine man, i thought they were p3's 500rms. So i think once u get it wired correctly it should be cool

EDIT: finally saw u posted how it wired, there in parallel to the terminals, thats 2omhs each. Are u running 2 sets of wires unbridged to each sub(2ohm load each channel) or do u have one set of wires powering both(1ohm)?
2 sets of wires to each sub.

I set my level to 2.2v as thats the output of the Head unit(well,sub shows 2-3-4-5.0,i have it slightly above 2.)

Underneath the level it shows a switch with a 12-24db. What should it be on? its currently set at 24db.

The lpf is set at 100,not sure what to set it at.

You should be able to push those subs with that amp with no problem.

I'm guessing you've got it wired incorrectly @ 1 or 2 ohms at the amp possibly bridged. Pretty sure that amp is only 4 ohm stable when bridged and 2 ohm when wired @ stereo.

Underneath the level it shows a switch with a 12-24db. What should it be on? its currently set at 24db.
The lpf is set at 100,not sure what to set it at.
Pretty sure that's a bass boost. You can set it at either, but 12 is probably better.

80 will probably be ok on the lpf.

Neither of those setting should effect your amp going into protection.

Lights will always dim somewhat from voltage flex
Not true.

If your Alt and Battery are up to the task you should have 0 dimming even with the stereo cranked, lights on and heater or A/C blasting.

So should i do it this way?
2DVC_4-ohm_2ch-br.jpg

I have 2 ports on the back of the box,i guess doing this il only use 1 set of em?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.