Need a Amp that will make my subs really bump without blowing a fuse

zSTePPyy
10+ year member

Nebraska
View attachment 26527658 ------ my subs ........... i have 2 12'' infinitys with a Kenwood kenwood kac-81520 amp and i had these for about a month and whenever i really wanted to bump it would be loud for about 5 min then the amp would over heat it did this for about 4 weeks straight finally after a month the fuse blew and i went to best buy were i got the amp installed and they put a fuse in and reduced the amp power so i was playing it at the regular volume and the fuse blew again. I was wondering if anyone knows what my problem is do i need a new amp? if so whats the best one to get price doesnt really matter. I dont know much about all the technical terms with subwoofers and amps so please explain to me what's wrong and how to fix it. Btw i really want to bump loud so if u have any recommendations on how to do this with these subs please help me!

both are fine i went to best buy today and the guy who installed it checked it out and just said i blew a fuse and fixed it until it blew again 30 min later

View attachment 26527658 ------ my subs ........... i have 2 12'' infinitys with a Kenwood kenwood kac-81520 amp and i had these for about a month and whenever i really wanted to bump it would be loud for about 5 min then the amp would over heat it did this for about 4 weeks straight finally after a month the fuse blew and i went to best buy were i got the amp installed and they put a fuse in and reduced the amp power so i was playing it at the regular volume and the fuse blew again. I was wondering if anyone knows what my problem is do i need a new amp? if so whats the best one to get price doesnt really matter. I dont know much about all the technical terms with subwoofers and amps so please explain to me what's wrong and how to fix it. Btw i really want to bump loud so if u have any recommendations on how to do this with these subs please help me!
Those are some nice subs but dont expect them to get really loud. How thick is your power wire? Also, you could have those subs wired where its below the ohm handling on the amp. You might wanna check your ground wire too.

all the wiring i bought when i got them installed so im not sure the guy asked me at best buy what year and model my car was and its a 98' mazda 626 so im not sure on wiring

haha sorry ive only been driving for a month and didnt know much about subs before so i thought it would be the easiest to get it installed there im just trying to get subs and amp that wont overheat every 5 min

i would slap your self for saying best buy and subs and amp in same sentence and get ready to actually learn something
That's probably why he came here. Can't change what's already happened. Might as well make the best of what he's got.

If best buy installed it I'd hope they haven't wired the subs to an impedance below what the amp can handle...

Every speaker has an impedance (ohm rating). depending how you wire sets of speakers/subs the amp will see a different final impedance. If this is lower than what the amp can handle, it will make the amp work harder than it's designed to.

kenwood kac-81520 is what i got
Yes sorry I realized after I posted //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif the only info I'm finding is listed down to 2 ohms... Do you know the exact model of the subs?

Get yourself a digital multimeter. With the system off, hook the + probe to the + sub wire, and the - probe to the - sub wire. Tell us what you get for a reading. Make sure the multimeter is set to the little ohms symbol.

to be honest i dont i bought the subs and amp from my neighbor they were hooked up and boxed it seemed like hes had them for probly 2-3 years

i think that is what the guy did at best buy before deciding what was wrong with them and saying it was a fuse but i wouldnt know where to go one of those

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.