Sub ohms off? Elementals

Participant count
  • Participant list

2Dcore
10+ year member

F*It
PA.
Hey, I picked up 2 used elemental Designs 13av2's off a friend. I've been in his car a bunch of times and previously the subs were in a blazer they slammed so hard. So finally i got him to trade me a DC 15". well get them in my car with a lot more power and they don't as hard as what they did in his ride. They are D2's when i meter them together at the amp they read 1ohm? Which it should be .5 The one sub has a slight scratching noise. They are so heavy i can't take them out myself so i can't check each coil. Can it be there is a coil out on each one?

Only way to be sure is to pull and check each coil. The one with the scratching noise will need a recone in the near future. I would think it to be the coil rubbing. Seems like he might have beat on them alil to much. Least its a friend so ask for a refund or atleast go half on whatever its going to cost to fix it..

Here's a cut-n-paste from my reply in another thread on the ohms question..

Average dmm's aren't really that precise down near a dead short, so the .8-1 ohm fluctuation isn't surprising or alarming.
More importantly, "nominal impedance" isn't exactly the same thing as DC resistance. (DC resistance is what you were most likely reading)

~1 ohm on a standard dmm could very well be (and most likely is) half an ohm @ some frequency in the sub's intended frequency range.
The scratching sound however, sounds like a problem.

Z1NONLY, I didn't know that, I learn something all the time on here, Ha! I guess if nothing ever went wrong i never learn anything.

DISTURBED. Well he's not that cool of a friend he'll say i did it. But yes them sub have takin a beating! I called eD they said to send them in and for $175. each they will send me new ones. I was planning on making 18's out of them though so i don't know which way to go.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.