Frequency and Q settings

maylar
10+ year member

Electrical Weenie
Connecticut
The 3 band equalizer on my JVC head unit has frequency and Q settings for each band. Like for bass, you can choose 60/80/100/120 Hz and Q of 1.0/1.25/1.5/2.0 The manual says nothing about what the settings do. I'm guessing that the frequency setting is the center frequency of the adjustment, but what does the Q setting mean?

Thanks

^^^ don't be a ****, just answer his question!

This is the best explanation I found:

" The EQ Pro setting gives you a list of frequencies to choose. The Q is the bandwidth factor that is centered on the frequency you choose. Increasing the Q makes the EQ adjustment affect a broader range of frequencies. Make small adjustments and give yourself some time to listen to familiar music before you make more adjustments. "

In English: It is the width of the sound for each band. More Q = Fatter sound on that band.

^^^ don't be a ****, just answer his question!
This is the best explanation I found:

" The EQ Pro setting gives you a list of frequencies to choose. The Q is the bandwidth factor that is centered on the frequency you choose. Increasing the Q makes the EQ adjustment affect a broader range of frequencies. Make small adjustments and give yourself some time to listen to familiar music before you make more adjustments. "

In English: It is the width of the sound for each band. More Q = Fatter sound on that band.
I did answer his question and thought my reply was quite respectful...don't get your panties in a bunch //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

72_2_1.gif

Pretend that's your frequency response and the bell curve is the frequency you're about to boost. The top graph would resemble what a low Q does to the frequency response and a high Q resembles the lower graph.

In essence, Q determines how many neighboring frequencies are affected and how they're affected when a certain frequency is boosted or cut.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.