Fall Jeep build Shocker Sigs vs. Stetsom

hispls
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Equipment:

Excessive Amperage HO alternator

3X dekka batteries in the back.

Kenwood HU (nothing special)

Zed Leviathan powering 3 way fronts.... mpyre midbass, exodus mids, crescendo tweets

Stetsom 4K2D

Currently a single Shocker Sig 12" .... will be building up 4 12" sigs this week....considering scrapping the 18's so I can use neo motors on some of these, but they work well so I don't have the heard to break them down until I smoke them....that'll be another project I think.

Been using some 18" neo sigs most of the summer but don't have enough space to really do them right and picked up some ceramic motors on the cheap. Just to warm up I have a single 12 that I use when I need to conserve cargo space so I'm running that currently to get into the mood for 12's.

DSC01725.jpg

DSC01724.jpg

DSC01723.jpg

Box currently is appx 4 cube tuned @ 40hz give or take. It peaks at 39hz in the mid 145's currently (amp is seing 2.8 ohm nominal currently)

DSC01737.jpg

DSC01736.jpg

DSC01726.jpg

Blew off the dustcap in some testing (was a quick job anyway) and I've been attempting to make my own CF caps. This is an early attempt. I didn't use a solid piece for this but some end pieces I had cut off the sides of the mat (**** is expensive and I can't see wasting a lot of material while practicing my technique).

Anyway, besides the seem in it it looks decent and it's lightweight and hard as rock.... and covers the skanky glue from the last cap.

DSC01735.jpg

DSC01734.jpg

Got my 4 new sig motors sitting here along with plenty of cones, spiders, tinsels. Waiting for baskets and new coils....will also attempt some more CF caps for the new ones (I will try full cone style if I can build a mold)... I'm pretty confident I'm only about 50$ in mistakes away from being able to do a nice CF dustcap.

Sub builds and new box build coming later this week. I have an idea for a flared slot port that I don't think anyone has done before.

Whats your idea?! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif
Quartering a piece of sono-tube the long way and using that for the roundover and also to round a couple inner edges of the box. If I have flexing issues I have a plan to settle that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

I find sono tube is actually very strong though ( you see serious HT setups using it for enclosures).....it's like an egg, when preasure is applied evenly along the surface it's almost indescructible.

Got a ton of work to do today and half of tomorrow. Will buy box materials tomorrow if the weather holds up. Expecting baskets and coils mid-week and can build up subs rain or shine at night.... Need to remember to buy a respirator though, last time I built up a 4 pack of subs my lungs were burning for a week from the glue fumes.

DSC01742.jpg

DSC01743.jpg

DSC01744.jpg

Coming along well enough. 25$ a sheet "cabinet grade" ply from Home Depot. I had the kid there make most of my cuts for me too....saves time and is much easier to get them loaded in and out for the ride home with everything. Their saw isn't perfect, but it's close enough with the belt sander (and of course hand cutting the last couple pieces to match whatever odd size they cut things to)

Wow..... what to do with this 12" sono tube??? A port????

DSC01744.jpg

Cut to the width of the box and quartered the long way.....

DSC01748.jpg

rabbet out this piece a little bit.....

DSC01749.jpg

Bam!!! Got some good roundovers for the bottom corners and a big *** flared port.

Screws are in the roundover pieces just til the glue dries up (overnight). Will remove and bondo things smooth.

DSC01754.jpg

DSC01752.jpg

DSC01751.jpg

DSC01750.jpg

The doubled up pieces are also just to hold while glue sets. The baffle side will be doubled (possibly trippled) up, and I'll reinforce the short port wall....but not with that piece probably....or with that piece at the bottom after I roundover everything.

Tomorrow I plan to get it mostly finished. Looks like I only have about 9 cube net so I'm going with 3 12's.... also would be super tight getting them all on the baffle.

Still waiting on baskets and coils, but expect them tomorrow and will build up subs tomorrow night or Thursday.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.