pop noise like a scratched vinyl record when listening to music through iphone

Participant count
  • Participant list

dubstep009
10+ year member

NC
before you tell me im in the wrong thread and try to act smart and all that, try and be nice and let me know where exactly i should be posting this thread and i will gladly appreciate it. im new to this. thank you.

i have the following items in my car...

INFINITY 475A 4-CHANNEL AMP CAR STEREO AUDIO AMPLIFIER | eBay

PACKAGE: JL AUDIO 6.5" COMPONENT SPEAKERS+6 1/2" COAX | eBay

Kenwood KDC-MP642U iPod/USB/CD/MP3 In Dash Receiver | eBay

NEW JL AUDIO 10W1V2-8 10" 10W1 CAR SUBWOOFER SUB 8 OHM | eBay

my sub and speakers are both bridged to my amplifier and its been working just fine like that. unfortunately for the past month I've been noticing a weird pop sound with fussiness (like a tic or when a vinyl record was scratched or old and you hear the music but in the back ground you hear that fussy and pop noise) when I'm playing music from my iphone and its happening more frequently now. i try listening to the radio and i dont hear the tic sound, it actually sounds a lot better, it only seems to do it when im playing music through my iphone. does anybody have any ideas to why this is happening? my speakers are fine because the sound quality hasnt changed at all if i put the volume all the way up or down.

Good job narrowing it down to the iPhone. Did this problem develop or has the iPhone always caused the noise? You are using the USB cable and not Bluetooth? Could be a connection issue with the iPhone, even dirt inside the connector cavity. Could just be the iPhone struggling to multi-task.

To check the HU you could try a thumb drive.

To check the iPhone you could try taking your iPhone and cable into a car audio store and testing on a HU in the board.

If you're using the 3.5mm jack on the iphone that may be the source of the problem
This can be true...

If the jack on the phone is dirty, it will give you this very sound/problem. If you can, try using a different cable and source to try and narrow it down to

the cord or phone.

Yeah I tried cleaning out all the jacks, USB jack coming from the back of my head unit and also the apple USB cable with a dust remover but I can still hear it. Do you think it's the Kenwood head unit?

Actualy I can't hear it as much now. Im listening to music as we speak and I don't hear it anymore. I think that's what the problem was. I thought it was something even worse, first replace speakers but they were fine and then I thought it was the head unit but it's working fine now. Awesome. Thank you everyone that posted their ideas.

Yeah I tried cleaning out all the jacks, USB jack coming from the back of my head unit and also the apple USB cable with a dust remover but I can still hear it. Do you think it's the Kenwood head unit?
Like I said above, try using a different cord and source to elliminate the current cord and or phone.

Actualy I can't hear it as much now. Im listening to music as we speak and I don't hear it anymore. I think that's what the problem was. I thought it was something even worse, first replace speakers but they were fine and then I thought it was the head unit but it's working fine now. Awesome. Thank you everyone that posted their ideas.
One other thing is....do you have the volume up on the phone enough? Sometimes you can get "background" noise if the source signal is not up enough.

The volume controls on the iPhone are disabled once I plug it on the USB cord. I have it on vibrate right now just in case.

wait, didn't you post this last week? i pointed at the cable then, too. did you forget to check on your exact same thread or something? edit: my bad, i just didn't see the responses, lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.