Yet another problem with my sundown subs

lowriderram_95
10+ year member

VW Surgeon
Well finally got my recones and baskets in (minus spacers and screws) and went to put them together tonight only to find out there is a huge gap between the spider and spider landing. Now when I push the spider down flush on the landing everything fits but it appears that the surround is pulled down hella far and looks like it would severely limit the travel of the suspension. I have no clue if this is how these subs are supposed to be so thats why I came here. Is it supposed to be that way on the nsv1 18's?

You should be able to tell if the surround has tension on it or not. If it's not completely relaxed in neutral position you definately have a problem

Kinda what I thought. So now to wait another 3 to 5 days for an email back from sundown about this. I'm hoping tho that this is normal and they didnt forget to send me something else

Well finally got my recones and baskets in (minus spacers and screws) and went to put them together tonight only to find out there is a huge gap between the spider and spider landing. Now when I push the spider down flush on the landing everything fits but it appears that the surround is pulled down hella far and looks like it would severely limit the travel of the suspension. I have no clue if this is how these subs are supposed to be so thats why I came here. Is it supposed to be that way on the nsv1 18's?
By huge gap you mean how much ? If you have the 8" standard spider you need to push it down a bit to meet - that is normal. The surround supports significantly more throw than the spider on the 18s so it's a non-issue. The cone meets the taller surround landing for a 9.25" spider so we push it down for the 8" a bit so there isn't a big gap of glue only between the spider and cone base.

PS: Please ask first before making such a thread; or at least post in our forums as I don't always see them over here.

There is what appears to be a 1/4 inch gap between the middle spider landing, on the baskets I bought from sundown, and the spider. I'm not tryin to bad mouth sundown in any way here bc I know they are a fast growing company, and for good reason but, I was in a hurry for answers and it's normally taken few days for a response and thats time I do not have.

There is what appears to be a 1/4 inch gap between the middle spider landing, on the baskets I bought from sundown, and the spider. I'm not tryin to bad mouth sundown in any way here bc I know they are a fast growing company, and for good reason but, I was in a hurry for answers and it's normally taken few days for a response and thats time I do not have.
Dude....Jacob Is Sundown //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Jacob, I am doing the recone for him, the spider is 8 inch diameter. When the surround is resting neutral with no tension, there is a 1/4 inch gab exactly between the spider and basket. Is this normal? If so that is great just need to know before we glue it down. Cuz it looks like it needs a spacer to me. Thanks !!!!

Yep, that is fine -- we don't want a 1/4" tall glue bead from the spider to the cone so we push it down on the 8" to meet the spider.

The surround is capable of MUCH more travel than the spider on the 18s so the 1/4" offset is no issue for it. Just apply a small weight to press it down while glue is drying and you are good to go.

PS: Also try our sections on CACO, SSA, SMD, ROE, CSCO, MWCarAudio, SPLBassX, Team Nemesis, or Down4Sound -- if my inbox is jammed full I may see a post there while doing my forum rounds before my inbox (assuming you e-mailed mine directly; the contact form goes to Brandon).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.