Something a little different

Nooby
10+ year member

USA
this is the first audio set up i've done and its not exactly a car. Im building a radio for camping and the beach. have all marine stuff, kenwood head unit, 200w amp, 200w 10" sub, and 2 sony 6.5"s. Hooked all up to a deep cycle marine battery.

its all going to be mounted in a cooler and hopefully waterproof.

So I've got a ton of questions as I'm starting this project right now.

first what should i do with the ground cable from the head unit and amp? just hook it to the negative battery terminal?

It's been done before. I remember seeing pics.

Honestly it would be way easier (and probably cheaper) to just buy a decent portable stereo. That cooler is going to be a bitch to haul around and near impossible to waterproof...

yes its going to be heavy, its got handles.

I would love to see a waterproof portable boombox with this much power but i don't think there is one.

The cooler is already waterproof, amp, battery, and HU go inside the speakers will stick through and be sealed.

any advice on powering the sub and head unit? will it be ok with 16 or 18 gage directly wired to the terminals?

Im hoping the charge will last a couple hours, if not i'll get rid of the sub. To charge it I have a battery charger that plugs into a wall socket, but I'm looking for a way to charge it from a car when theres no outlets around, maybe just jumper cables?

The head unit has a 1 red, 1 yellow, and 1 black coming out. Can i just connect the red and the yellow and put them to the (+) then put the black to the (-)?

The amp has 2 yellow, do i put both to (+)? and two black do I put both to (-)?

Theres also a blue and white on the amp and head unit, what is this for? I'm assuming I should just connect them to each other.

I'll post some pics as i go for anyone who finds this thread in the future

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the posts so far, waiting for you guys so I can keep going with this. Also waiting for my roommate to come back with his toolbox

Guts!

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

If you connect both the red and yellow the head unit will stay on all the time. One is meant to be a switched wire to turn it off when the car is off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.