How to hook up an additional 12" sub and a mono amp to my current system.

Participant count
  • Participant list

dubstep009
10+ year member

NC
I have a simple sound system in my car, 4 JL speakers, tweeters, kenwood stereo, infinity amp hooked up to my speakers and my 10" JL sub. My dad doesn't use his JL 12" sub with a JL mono amp hooked on top of the box so I'm going to hook it up in my car. I know this might sound easy to any of you but I would like to know/learn from you how can I hook up the extra sub with the mono amplifier to my current system. And also how many ohms each sub should be running on and all that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Individual results may vary, but it's a crapshoot.. Oddly enough, the people who tell you it's a bad idea since you lose SQ have systems that are designed to play a 60hz sine wave for 3 seconds at 150+dB

Anyway, more info on the model of amp and voice coil options on both subs. I've had mixing sub sizes work OK (many top tier cabinet speakers mix woofer sizes....then again they spend years testing to make sure they work well together), and also seen it turn out an accoustic disaster.... and it almost always looks ghetto.

Individual results may vary, but it's a crapshoot.. Oddly enough, the people who tell you it's a bad idea since you lose SQ have systems that are designed to play a 60hz sine wave for 3 seconds at 150+dB 

Anyway, more info on the model of amp and voice coil options on both subs. I've had mixing sub sizes work OK (many top tier cabinet speakers mix woofer sizes....then again they spend years testing to make sure they work well together), and also seen it turn out an accoustic disaster.... and it almost always looks ghetto.

i say it's a bad idea yet i dont burp or compete....

Right? I also thought the same thing, that it'd look ghetto. I think I'm better off just buying another 10" to add to the one I already have.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.