Yukon Rebuild. 12 15's, Ipad, extensive fiberglass and motorization

kylediablo
10+ year member

17 & certified
to save time first post is copied from the build log on SMD***

Well some of you may remember years back when i originally posted this build on here when i was 16.

Gmc Yukon 8x12" Built By 16 Year Old. - SMD Forum

and then a year later the rebuild that was somewhat of a short lived epic fail

Tahoexfixssd's Yukon TEARDOWN - SMD Forum

well it all got ripped out in october of 09' and has been sitting ever since.

i was going to do a wall behind the 2nd row for 2 warden 21's....then that changed to 24 10's....then changed to 20 8's..... now i have settled on 12 15's

lets have a re-cap shall we...

at the beginning when i was 15 in 07'

1.jpg

3.jpg

when i finished april of 08' (did 146 on AC meter with 600watts)

249.jpg

250.jpg

252.jpg

nov. 08' SOTM

the rebuild in 08-09...(dont have many pics of it becasue of the short time that it was around)

147 on TL epic fail

102_2149.jpg

boxes3004.jpg

102_3012.jpg

102_3017.jpg

So the new plan....

Make this thing my lifes work lol... not real real concearned with numbers, more of a show thing.

Euipment

-12 Rival Audio b15's

-Crown GTI a6000 or 3 AQ 3500s

-16 sets of Boston sr60's

-iPad as the HU

-Audison BitOne as the preamp

-several Boston gt2200's

-10 treo ssx100b batteries

Mods...

-Dash rebuild from scratch

-console rebuild from scratch with motorized drawer

-overhead console w/ BitOne and components

-motorized rear amp racks

-Door panels

-mor fiberglass than i want to think about

i almost forgot i started on some door panels early last year and never finished haha....

IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0975.jpg

IMAG1137.jpg

IMAG1138.jpg

IMAG1140.jpg

I wanna know more about the I pad as an HU thing! Looks awesome so fat thou...
ive done alot o

f research on it. the correct way to do it to acually get sq and digital audio from it is kinda complicated. youtube tutorials from soundmancaraudio helped alot. they also have diagrams on the site.

ipad>ipocket dock>istreamer(or optical converter)>audison BitOne>amplifiers

this is the true way to get the digital out of the ipad AND have charging. 99% of ipad installs ppl use the 3.5mm jack...we all know what that does to SQ. its not a cheap upgrade. all parts including ipad2 3g 16gig ran me around $1500

progress!

IMAG1221.jpg

Top braces in!

IMAG1228.jpg

also had to get me one of these finally! got tired of sweating and not being able to work!

IMAG1233.jpg

Spent an hour and a half with a can of xylene and wax and grease remover getting the glue off after i peeled off the vinyl. sat around to long and got some knicks in it

now for the dash, i spent alot of time on the old pods, sanding the living hell out of it and making it smooth for paint, but after almost 4 years of hot cold hot cold, she started to crack, and only 2 speakers in the dash wasnt going to cut it for this one anyway.

i have been thinking about what i wanted it to look like for a long time and kinda just went with somthing. i love the shape of the factory dash, with the exception of the big instrument cluster shroud that, with everything removed (ac, wiper switches and wat not), had alot of dead space. and also it got in the way of the console. so i had to re-make the gauge cluster which will house some digital gauges. also had to re-shape the drivers side to get rid of the lip that the old shroud sat on.

IMAG1227.jpg

IMAG1229.jpg

IMAG1237.jpg

IMAG1236.jpg

IMAG1235.jpg

IMAG1234.jpg

its still rough because i have to get it back into the yukon to make and shape the console, so i did rough sanding in areas toward the middle, or havent formed it at all. i also had to shave the indention that is in the lower dash since it will be wrapped in vinyl

o and i almost forgot..... my NEW TOYYY.

it doesnt work real well in small areas if you wanna get it smooth. takes alot to roll and brush it out smooth. but when i start on the headliner pod, rear tub and rear speaker pods this thing should be a miracle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.