Can someone please tell me whats going on with my amp

suteman
10+ year member

Pway, NJ
So one day my amp decides to stop giving power to my subs out of nowhere. Its not on or in protect mode. Its a Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D and the hifonics lettering on the amp is illuminated still but power and protect isnt. In the manual it says that its not getting adequate voltage through the remote source to turn the amp on. I already jumped it from a 12v source but it still does the same thing. I checked all the wiring, the grounds fine, and no fuses are blown. What could it be?

double check your voltage. you might have ran it under 11volts.. HAving too little voltage can kill the amp. and that illumination is probably under a different circuit. Before you go out and buy a new amp, make sure your alternator is putting out at least 14.4 volts and that your batteries are resting around 12V-13V.

ill check as soon as i can, would it help to see if the amp turns on with the remote hooked up to a external 12v source? it might take awhile to get a meter

if the blue light goes off when the remote is disconnected, then that tells me the remote has voltage. but without a solid ground you won't get 12V. this is where the DMM will help troubleshoot by telling you the exact voltage - i feel they are required for car audio installers.

disconnect the speaker wires until you get it to turn on.

finally was able to check the voltage, 12.7ish while off and 13.5ish when on. guess you were right about the voltage drop but i dont get exactly whats wrong how do i fix it?

was that voltage measurement at the power terminals on the amp?? if so, then i would say you should start looking into the possibility of a fried amp (i emphasize, looking into it, not saying it definately is) ... if so... try to put up some gut pics

take it from your amps terminals... you need to figure out what kind of voltage your amp is getting... as posted before, a bad/corroded ground can cause a good amount of voltage drop, causing your amp to see less than 11v

why hasnt anyone said this yet? your RCA's are probably bad. either the RCA cable or the RCA's on the back of the deck.
that's a possibility.

but we always start with a DMM and measure voltage.

next, we use that same DMM to measure VAC out of the amp speaker terminals to look for a signal.

then we use that same DMM to measure resistance (ohms) of the speaker wire (disconnected from amp) to verify sub wiring.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.