series voice coils / woofers parallel vs parallel voice coils / woofers series.

Participant count
  • Participant list

04prixgt04
10+ year member

ATX
I searched and had no luck. reason I ask is because I went from series voice coils / woofers parallel to parallel voice coils / woofers series when I changed enclosures. I did this out of curiosity since the final ohm load is 2 either way. the reason I ask is I have distortion running them parallel voice coils / woofers series. I know that when you run them parallel voice coils / woofers series you are essentially taking the each 1 ohm and bringing them back to 2 as opossed to taking them to 4 ohm and bringing them back down to 2ohm. I have 2 kicker cvr122's by the way. (there 2 ohm by them selfs)

You always want to parallel the drivers and series the coils. In theory either way will perform exactly the same but in reality when you series woofers one woofer will get more power than the other (the first woofer in the chain will get more power). If you look at your woofers while they are playing one is probably moving a little more than the other. When you series the coils you minimize this effect because the series wire used between the voice coils is very short.

interesting to read this.

On paper it would seem that both ways would be the same.

However I was always bothers that my last setup - 2 - 12" L7's with the coils in parallel and the speakers in series I could see that one of the woofers was always moving more than the other.

When I had them wired the other way I did not see that.

I had always thought that one must of had a 'looser' suspension.

I think I was wrong, it was the way i had them wired.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.