martian's 2001 buick build log

martiandancer31
10+ year member

Front Towards Enemy
Well this has kinda been in the works for a long time.....it all started 2 summers ago when I got the car (2001 buick LeSabre) and the stock CD player would play about 4 CD's that I had, and skip or freeze on the rest.....so I decided to upgrade to a PRS-880. And it all went downhill after that, I had a tc-3k in there for awhile, a tc-9 after that, and now, i've decided to go all out with a sort of SQL-type setup.

the plan is basically this - first, deaden the crap out of everything. Then, i'm putting speakers in the stock locations in the front that'll sound good, and speakers in the back location that'll get loud. I'll have a switch panel in the front such that I can turn the amp for the back speakers on/off as I desire depending on if I want to get loud (read: be a ****) or just listen to some good-sounding music.

In terms of equipment, it'll be as follows:

HU- PRS880

Processing - Alpine 260 (audessey), and possibly home-made active XO

Amps - hifonics 500x2 @ 2 ohms for from woofers and back deck speakers

- sony xm-250 for front tweeters (front stage will be crossed actively, and probably back stage too)

- not sure for subs

Speakers - for the front woofers i'm using these peerless 6.5" woofs from PE: Peerless 831735 6-1/2" HDS Driver

- front stage tweeters: Vifa NE25VTT-04 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter

- rear stage woofs (8" selenium): Selenium 8W4P 8" Woofer

- rear stage tweets (some ridiculous pyle pro things lol): Pyle Pro PDBT38 Titanium Super Tweeter

As I said, the front stage is for SQ only, and the back stage is for getting loud (and hopefully sounding somewhat decent at the same time). I'm probably going to build an active XO for the rear stage but the front stage XO'ing will be handled by the alpine processor.

The subs will be dual 15" eclipse TI's (9152), ported with 6" aeroports (i think), tuned to high 20's. The box will be some wood, but mostly fiberglass. This will be my first time working with glass so bear with me here, it's either gonna be decent and take me a really long time, or ****, hard. The reason I want to use glass is I want to make use of as much trunk space as possible, such as the spare tire well, etc. I'm hoping for ~5 cubes per sub but that might not happen.

Electrical will, hopefully, be an HO alt, 2x deka 931a batts, and my stock batt. 0 gauge knu all around, with 2x runs of KCA from alt to stock batt, 2x runs from stock batt to each deka, and OFC for everything else. (FYI, my stock batt is under the back seat).

Alright, let's get some pics here. First, a pic of the car, in one piece, atm:

IMG_1384.jpg

next, some of the equipment that's going in (my PE order lol)

IMG_1383.jpg

Obviously, the first step here will be to rip the entire car apart and start deadening. So, here we go:

IMG_1387.jpg

lol. Those seats were HEAVY. for real.

IMG_1388.jpg

seats are out at this point, moving on

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

gotta love that part of the install where half of your car is sitting in the house....lol

IMG_1391.jpg

Believe it or not, the car had, stock, 4 cld-ish pieces in there already. Obviously they're not as good as the stuff i'm putting in, but hey, it's the though that counts here.

next, before applying the first deading layer (CLD, aka dynatmat, fatmat, whatever), clean that sucker up with residue-free de-greaser. I used 409 for this.

IMG_1393.jpg

let me start the deadening portion off here by saying this - don't waste your time, JUST BUY YOUR FRIGGIN CRAP FROM DON @ SOUND DEADENER SHOWDOWN. Seriously. I made the mistake of not buying everything from Don and it was just a horrible waste of my time. As a result, i'm stuck here this weekend with 2 forced days off, missing the second layer of my deadening.

So anyways, back to the fun pics:

IMG_1402.jpg

Don says that, with the CLD layer, you really only need 25% coverage. (Now, this may be different if what you're going for here is SPL - for that you probably should use several layers on dynamat on top of a thick base layer of Edead v3). However all i'm really concerned about here is a quieter ride, so i'll be doing less than 100% coverage.

IMG_1403.jpg

This is probably enough for the front, but because i'm a paranoid nerd, i'll be doing more. I have 20 sq. ft. of dynamat extreme so why not cover more.

Ever try to move your car without the driver's seat?

IMG_1399.jpg

makes for good times //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Before I started laying down CLD tiles, I first figured out where I wanted my zero-gauge wire to enter the cab. Due to extreme congestion everywhere in my car, I decided it was just gonna pop out in front of the passenger seat.

Jacked the car up, and drilled the hole from the underside such that the wire will come out right by the brake lines

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

For now it's just a pilot hole, but at least I know not to put CLD there. Also, the hole is small enough so that I can plug it up with JB weld if I want to use a different location for some reason or other.

That's about where this stands ATM. I'm warning you right now, this isn't one of those build logs that gets done in 2 weeks. But, I can promise that the end results will be good and i'll try to explain everything as best I can.

very nice start and love the buick...
If God drove a car it would probably be a buick... floatin in the clouds
ha....that's about how it handles. Like it's floating in the clouds. Some day when all the suspension components wear out i'm probably going to replace them with something a little stiffer.

If you haven't already bought the Pyle PA tweets you oughta give the Crescendo XST's a try. On little power they sound great... But be sure to dial them back unless you like overwhelming highs.
i've already bought them. How much do the crescendos run tho, just out of curiosity?

nice so far. at least you deadened first and not toss everything in just to have to take it all out to deaden lol.
yeah that would be a bad idea....something or other usually breaks when I take my car apart so i try to do it as little as possible.

hmm, that would've saved me a couple bucks.

I just realized.....i forgot to buy a pxe-h660. And i need to run the IR remote wire before I put my interior back in //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif now I have to pay for 3 day shipping on one lol.

Alright, got some more deadening done today. Safe to say i've got the first lay of my deadening pretty well squared away:

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

the dark charcoal-looking stuff is eDead v3. My understanding is that it serves a similar purpose to dynamat/whatever other CLD tiles get your jollies off. However, I find it's much easier to work into tight corners or whatever so I use it in addition to CLD.

IMG_1422.jpg

yes, I did much more than 25% coverage. Sorry Don, but I really, really don't ever want to rip my car this far apart again.

IMG_1423.jpg

I coated the B-pillars with the v3 as best I could. I'm obsessed. My neighbor came over and told me I was nuts. Pretty much made my day.

Its creepy how close our builds are and equipment we use... even to the nosey *** neighbor across the street comng over to peek his head in to see what your doing..
lol, it was so funny. The guy takes his grandkid around the block every evening to go talk to one of my other neighbors, and on his way past my house he sees me in my car, without any seats or carpeting, rolling dynamat.....and he's like "you're nuts!!"

I actually enjoy taking my car apart but I don't have any other means of transport so it's a huge pain. I've got to put the drivers seat back in (at least) for Tuesday since I have to go back to work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.