Battery alternator cap? please help!!

rlambert02
10+ year member

PHX, AZ
first off im powering 2 rockford P315's, a hifonics 1700 amp, a P200-2 amp, punch 6.5 speakers, 2 farad capacitor, interior LED's (under dashboard), 12k HIDs, underglow kit and i thinks about it. (and may upgrade to much more powerful system BTW)

But the problem is I'm still running it all off factory batter, which just completely died, and factory 95 amp alternator.

I have heard many different things about what do but need to know whats best!?

First off which battery should i put in? was thinking about either a optima redtop or kinetik hc1400(biggest that'll fit or id go bigger) and I was thinking about upgrading alternator to a high output 200 amp alt. but this guy at the shop i take my car to said to just do the redtop and put in something called a CAP (not sure what it is cuz he said he wasnt talking about a capacitor but something different) and he said then if i did that i probably wouldnt need to upgrade the alternator....

So please someone give me some answers on what do, any ideas/opinions help especially some professional ones from mechanics, professional installers, etc.

yeah don't trust that shoppe lol they don't know what they're talking about. Def get a high output alternator, better battery, and Big-3 upgrade, anything else is optional

AGM=acid gell something battery, vs typical lead battery, or drycell... I'm not the best with batteries, but I hear all sorts of things claimed about one being better than the other, the only thing you need is a a battery that has big storage and output type really doesn't matter much in my experience, which again is very little.

I hear Optimas, Odyssey, batcap, xs, deka, and kinetic are all decent...hear plenty of bad things about kinetics though.

Well I have called 2 different shops now and they have both told me that if i put in a high output alternator it will fry me cars computer....

AGM=acid gell something battery, vs typical lead battery, or drycell... I'm not the best with batteries, but I hear all sorts of things claimed about one being better than the other, the only thing you need is a a battery that has big storage and output type really doesn't matter much in my experience, which again is very little.I hear Optimas, Odyssey, batcap, xs, deka, and kinetic are all decent...hear plenty of bad things about kinetics though.
\
AGM=Absorbed Glass Mat

they said it would just run to much power and feed it more power than it could take and fry it. what do you recommend i do if i put in a new alternator, like wiring etc. And do you know a good place to get good alternators for a good price?

dont listen to the ship they are fools, they are trying to push what they have. id get an alternator and a battery. its pricey at first but it will help you in the long run. just as haze said either one of them is great. i have a mechman in my pontiac ive had for about 3 or so years, and i got one in my jeep. as far as bats i use XS power. do the big three in 0 gauge.

Call them back and ask them if they are aware that 99% of all alternators now a days are internally regulated. This means that they don't just go blasting 200+amps all over the place the minute you turn the key. They "regulate" (catchy huh?) the amperage based on demand needed. That's what that small harness on your alt. does, more specifically the exciter wire.

Better yet, don't bother calling them again EVER... for anything!

Yeah I seriously wouldn't trust a word that shop says they are either completely ignorant/stupid, or they are just trying to sell shiz. Choose based on ur cash bro, HO alts are expensive, but worth it for many things, keep ur shiz from frying from underpower....complete opposite of what the store is saying.

Batteries always help 1-2 decent batteries should do fine for ya 2 will require more wire to run them in parallel need pos and neg runs.

Big-3 upgrade, easily the cheapest, you can find 7.5 ft of Cadence 1/0 cable on ebay shipped for like 20$ also helps a lot, I highly recommend this if nothing else.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.