Clamp meter

Participant count
  • Participant list

HomeLite
10+ year member

This is going to sound like a bit of a noob question..

Ok so I want to measure how many amps my alt is putting out. I know I need a clamp meter, but do I need a special one, or will any old clamp meter do? I've seen a lot of cheap ones that say what the max amperage of AC current they can handle but don't mention DC. Should I assume that it's the same or that it doesn't measure dc amperage?

Is there any clamp meters that are cheap? Sub $50? Sub $20?

Quite different. It needs to specifically say DC Amps. TENMA at MCMElectronics has the least expensive DC Amp clamp meters I've seen that are decent. Around $50. Be sure to check their sales flyers for a source code, they have sales frequently but you have to enter the source code on the flyer, but the flyers are available for online viewing,

Are you trying to measure max output? Because without a large load on it, you are only going to see what the demand load is.

If you have a 200a alternator, it is not outputting 200a all the time. Unless it is an unregulated which is not a good idea.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.