2v Preamp vs 4v Preamp

its definately a difference, i like running at least 5v preouts personally.
eclipse ftw brotha.

"Don't worry about the pre-out voltage, and simply set the gains correctly for the amplifier on hand.

The more important spec on pre-out (IMO) is the output impedance - the lower the better. The output impedance is more important because it determines how much noise rejection the output devices are capable of maintaining (rather than noise masking, as a higher RCA voltage does).

The Pioneer head units (typically) offer neither high voltage OR low impedance outputs, this in addition to the noisy and relatively poorly designed ground plane within the units, makes them very susceptible to noise right off the bat. Proper HU grounding is VERY important with Pioneer heads. If really THAT worried about it, get a different (i.e. better) head unit."

RCA output voltage, nouseforaname

My head unit (Alpine CDA-105) only has a 2v preamp output for some reason. Alpine cheaped out there I suppose.
Your CDA-105 is entry level from Alpine. That's what you get from any Tier 1 manufacturer's low end models. 2V outputs are not as important as having enough pre-outs for your system. If the 105 does what you need then you're fine.

higher voltage is usually better but just make sure whatever voltage you go with, your amp has at least a minimum of that
I was wondering about that. I have an older amp that I want to hook up for mids and highs. The manual says the inputs are 200 mv - 2 volt. As you know most head units are now manufactured with 4 volt. They still make some 2 volt head units, but they seem be limited on features compared to the 4 volt and higher. I have not purchased a head unit yet. Can I use a head unit with 4 volt outputs on this amp and just turn the gains down? https://download.phoenixphorum.com/Manuals/Amplifiers/MQ_Amps/MQ430_manual.PDF

Can I use a head unit with 4 volt outputs on this amp and just turn the gains down?
You can use one of these-
Screenshot_20230530-071216.png

For some reason you can't link to DIYMA from here. 2v is just fine. If you have a 4v HU, just use a lower volume setting (down 3db) to set your gains.
Thanks. This is one of the head units I have been considering. I like the built in crossover feature. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DM2660/Pioneer-DMH-2660NEX.html My wife has a AVH2400 that has been installed for over a decade and it still works great. I have never had any problems out of a Pioneer HU.

Pioneer HUs aren't the same quality they were 10 years ago. That said, I have a newer one and it hasn't given me any problems and you get alot of features for your dollar.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

kylej

10+ year member
kylej
Franklin, West Virginia, United States
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views