Need Head Unit Help!!!!!!!!

Participant count
  • Participants list
I have a stock head unit in my 2004 Dodge Stratus and would really like to keep either the same stock head unit or to put a different compatible stock head unit (I do not want to intall an aftermarket head unit if I dont need to). The only problem with that is that the stock unit only has a four channel output (as far as i know) and I would like to run four speakers and a subwoofer. I already have the amp (5 channel) but have some questions about intallation.

First question is do I need to have a six channel head unit? If not, how would I wire everything up so that I could run the 5 channel amp off of a four channel head unit.

Second, are there any other requirements that I need to think about with a head unit other than the channels that it can handle?

Please help me out!!!!

Jack

what amp? no, you do not need a 6 channel HU. front and rear, left and right. some stock amps have more speakers but it's still F&R/L&R - four channels.

the amp should allow for 4 channel input and the sub channel signal can be derived from Front or Rear or summation of both. depends on the amp.

if the amp doesn't have high level inputs, you need a Line Output Converter (LOC) to convert the speaker level outputs into RCA outputs.

you need a turn-on signal for the amp. don't just use ignition. try to get one from the head unit so the amp turns off when the HU turns off.

I have a brand X five channel 1400 watt amp. Im not completly sure on the specifications or the output levels, I'm somewhat of novice. But just to make sure what you are saying, I would need to split the output to the rear speakers and run them to the amp? That will allow for the amp to perform at it's maximum levels?

Thanks for the help!

Well I do have the owners manual, just that I am a bit of a novice so I really dont know a whole lot about this.

But is it a bad brand? I had heard some good things about them from some of my friends so I decided to give them a try. They are manufactured by the same people as pyle pyramid lanzer ect.

none of those companies are great, all are below average. they make stuff that works ok for a while. properly taken care of, you can get years of mediocre performance (which is grossly overrated). don't fret, it should work... but just recognize that you get what you pay for. most good 5 channel amps are >$500.

i need a link to the owner's manual, or access to one in order to tell you definitively how you need to hook it up. i'm glad to help. i would look it up, but i don't have a model number yet. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif even good photos of the side controls (both sides) would help.l

well here is a model number for you (Brand x XL9575X5) and here is a link to a site with all the specifications and pictures of the amp 5 CHANNEL AMP 121 WATTS X 4 + 473 WATTS - XL9575X5 - BrandX - Quality Audio Inc.

I hope that this helps and thank you so much for all the help, I would still be floundering if it werent for you!!

(and now I will probably get a better 5 channel amp sometime in the future, are there any good brands to look for?)

XL9575X5-SIDE1.jpg

XL9575X5-SIDE2.jpg

from the amp images you can see that it has an input mode setting for 4ch or 5ch. you'll use the 4ch input mode.

you will need a 4 channel Line Output Converter (LOC) or two 2 channel LOC's.

I recommend this LOC over all others:

David Navone N-RHL4

you'll need to tap both front and rear speaker wires to wire them to the LOC. you can do this behind the head unit (best) or at each speaker (longer runs). for easy access to wiring behind the head unit you can buy both matching Metra wire harnesses, 70-6502 goes into the car and 71-6502-1 goes into the radio. this will give you a place to intercept wiring. RCA's are more expensive than speaker wire, you could just run four pairs of speaker wire from behind the HU wired to the 71-9502-1 harness to the amp, then place the LOC's at the amp for easy access. I recommend doing this. that way you also benefit from high level signals back to the amp.

here is the mounting adapter instructions which tell you how to remove the factory head unit:

http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/INST99-6504.pdf

if you want to reuse factory speaker wiring (not recommended but will be easier and still work), you can run another four pairs of speaker wires from the amp outputs to behind the head unit and connect them to the 70-6502 harness.

you need a remote turn-on. you may get one when you connect the 71-6502-1 harness into the radio. if not, you'll want to buy a LOC that generates a turn-on signal. The Navone N-RHL4 linked above has a good turn-on built in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.