How Many Head Unit Channels do I Need?

Participant count
  • Participants list
This is my first post so please bear with me.

I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus with a stock head unit. I have some JVC 5 way speakers, JBL GTO two way speakers, a JBL GTO 10" subwoofer, and a 5 channel amp. Im not positive, but I think that my stock head unit only has a four channel outuput.

I would really like to keep the stock head unit either from my car or from another mopar vehicle because I dont want anything "showing" that I have after market audio equiepment in my vehicle because I am a college student and dont need my car getting broken into.

My question is do I need to find a stereo that has a pre amp output of 5+ channels, or would I be able to set up my stereo (which I think only has four channels) to run the five channel amp?

Please help!!

Jack, I would be surprised if the stock radio has RCA outputs at all. You may need to use line-out converters to get your four outputs. And your 5-channel amp should be able to take the signal it is given and drive the sub channel on it's own.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.