500rms for my budget? And I have a 12v battery issue.

Moofs
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I'm considering running an Audioque SDC2.5 and I'm trying to see how much an amp would cost me. I'd like 500-600rms @ 2 ohms but almost all the amps I see are rated at 14.4v rather than 12v like my car is. I know my car would run 14v once its turned on but after a little wont it be back to 12v and I'll only be getting like 400rms or something?

Can you recommend me a good amp that will make that power under 200$ Something that wont runny rly hot or something.

The AQ 750 will do that for 200 but its rated at 14.4v.

Other options ive seen are...

Alpine MRP-M500 $170

Rockford Fosgate Prime R500 $155(hear its rly inefficient though)

MB Quart Onx 1.1000D (hear it runs hot)

sorry for the noob questions.

depending on your alt it will charge between 13.8 and 14.4v. your battery holds a charge of 12.8 with the car off. do you plan on getting a second at any time? you could get an AQ 1200 and if you added a second one run it at 1 ohm for 600w each. if youre looking for a cheaper solution though you could get this:

MB QUART ONX1.1000D 1000W Mono D Amplifier : ONX11000D : $158.95 : VMInnovations.com

use coupon code "CACO85" to save 8.5%

depending on your alt it will charge between 13.8 and 14.4v. your battery holds a charge of 12.8 with the car off. do you plan on getting a second at any time? you could get an AQ 1200 and if you added a second one run it at 1 ohm for 600w each. if youre looking for a cheaper solution though you could get this:
MB QUART ONX1.1000D 1000W Mono D Amplifier : ONX11000D : $158.95 : VMInnovations.com

use coupon code "CACO85" to save 8.5%
"Promo code cant be applied" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

well I might just not know as much as you guys so let me break it down:

Idk the exact voltage but I thought all small cars run a 12V battery. So are you saying thats ONLY when the car is off. But if its on it is always between 13.8-14.4?

So in that case I can run either just fine as long as the car is on?

And no I dont plan to add another battery or upgrade to another. I plan to run ONLY ONE SDC2.5 sub. So I only need one amp that makes 500-600rms.

So if I can pull off that power when its on I might as well get the AQ. But does anyone think the MB quart is good enough?

Why wouldnt you post that one first anyway? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif thanks though!
the VMIFAN10 was given exclusively to people that advertise for VMI, and it expires after a certain amount of uses, which is why i try to avoid giving it out

If thats all you want I would run the Alpine.. I had one, good amp.. When you get everything hooked up and gain set right, check your voltage at the amp under different conditions

well I might just not know as much as you guys so let me break it down:Idk the exact voltage but I thought all small cars run a 12V battery. So are you saying thats ONLY when the car is off. But if its on it is always between 13.8-14.4?

So in that case I can run either just fine as long as the car is on?

And no I dont plan to add another battery or upgrade to another. I plan to run ONLY ONE SDC2.5 sub. So I only need one amp that makes 500-600rms.

So if I can pull off that power when its on I might as well get the AQ. But does anyone think the MB quart is good enough?
MB Quart is quality, the AQ is better but IMO not worth the price difference.

your battery holds a charge of 12.8v, assuming its fully charged. when your car is running, the alternator is spinning and generating current, that current is between 13.8v and 14.4v. tbh you wont notice much difference between giving a sub 600w and giving it 500w

If thats all you want I would run the Alpine.. I had one, good amp.. When you get everything hooked up and gain set right, check your voltage at the amp under different conditions
sounds good. all the reviews on the alpine seem good besides one or two.

MB Quart is quality, the AQ is better but IMO not worth the price difference.
your battery holds a charge of 12.8v, assuming its fully charged. when your car is running, the alternator is spinning and generating current, that current is between 13.8v and 14.4v. tbh you wont notice much difference between giving a sub 600w and giving it 500w
Good to know, I'm just looking for something solid that wont run super hot and is good on a budget.

Am I understanding it right that my car can make the right power when its turned on, just not when running off the battery alone when off.

Just double checking, since its obviously "charging" when the car is on.

I'll have to pass on the Skar. the AQ is already a stretch for me. I planned to actually get an IA 187 and still might. I'm just trying to see how much more that setup would cost me. So far, kinda a lot for my budget.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.