SMD Distortion Detector Testing and Review!

twistedchild420
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
East,TX
Well here it is...now i'm not the best a written reviews..(hell not even video reviews..lol) But all in all i can say this is a **** good lil device right here! One of the guys that i distortion detected actually gained in the lanes too! Anyway...you guys know what it does...and it does it good! Detects down to 1% harmonic distortion....and will allow you to find your maximum undistorted volume on your head unit ...more coming up on that later...Here's a vid...I was a little outta there on the review so bare with me..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy built one of these about 7 years ago. to bad he never got a patent, sent the specs to china and had it produced.

He still brings it over every time I need my gains checked. I'll post up a pic of the raw model.

139 isn't bad for what it does. Twisted I'm sending you shipping fees so I can borrow //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Considering you can buy a handheld scope for that price, I'd say it's too expensive...

Scopes don't show distortion though sir. Generally distortion happens before clipping.
Ehh, I think I have to disagree with you. Distortion in this case is referring to clipping. If they're just checking gain placement then all it's checking is for a clipped signal. THD = Total Harmonic Distortion. A clipped sine wave creates harmonics which are the cause of the distortion.

Ehh, I think I have to disagree with you. Distortion in this case is referring to clipping. If they're just checking gain placement then all it's checking is for a clipped signal. THD = Total Harmonic Distortion. A clipped sine wave creates harmonics which are the cause of the distortion.
This isn't checking for a clipped signal solely distortion. From what I can gather it's sole purpose is to get the cleanest signal. You have have your gain set perfectly (as far as not clipping) but still have a distorted signal. Even if you disagree with me twisteds test showing his buddy gaining dbs from this machine is worth it to me.

This isn't checking for a clipped signal solely distortion. From what I can gather it's sole purpose is to get the cleanest signal. You have have your gain set perfectly (as far as not clipping) but still have a distorted signal. Even if you disagree with me twisteds test showing his buddy gaining dbs from this machine is worth it to me.
Where do you think that distortion comes from if not from clipping?

I have to agree with bubb that a clean signal should not distort. I think that guy gained db's due the fact that he didn't set his gain up as high as he could by hear. He was keeping it on the safe side then found out it could safely go higher.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

nice device either way, Only thing an oscope doesn't have is the simplicity of the cd/led light.

I have to agree with bubb that a clean signal should not distort. I think that guy gained db's due the fact that he didn't set his gain up as high as he could by hear. He was keeping it on the safe side then found out it could safely go higher. 

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

nice device either way, Only thing an oscope doesn't have is the simplicity of the cd/led light.
exactly

i would like to see one beside a o-scope....in the vid that meade posted you cant see the screen on the o scope

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

twistedchild420

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
twistedchild420
East,TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies