Subwoofer volume fluctuates

Participant count
  • Participant list

Cowcrusader
10+ year member

Ok so I have had so much trouble trying to find anyone with a similar problem on the web. I recently got a system installed in my 1996 Volvo 850R. Its a mix of some new and some old gear. Its a 8 speaker setup with kenwood tweeters in the dash Alpine 5 1/4" in the front door Polk 6 1/2" in the rear door and stock in the rear deck. I have a Alpine MRP F-300 powering the front and rear door speakers. I also have a Kenwood amp running 500 watts rms into two kenwood 12"s and a 2 farad capacitor.

The setup seemed clean except I noticed they only ran a 8 guage from the battery so i complained and they installed a 4 guage, but I noticed they only ran the 4 guage to the cap and left 8 guage running the amps. I was wondering if this was a problem and if I needed to complain again to get 4 guage ran from the cap to the sub amp. I want to run the subs at 2 ohms (900rms) but I dont think my car can handle it.

Anyways the main problem is my subwoofers volume fluctuates, at first it will start off loud then diminish, then it will go up for about 5 seconds, then go down again. The weird thing is it sounds louder when the car is stopped. also if I put the bass boost up too high it simply shuts off alltogether. Honestly its not nearly as loud as i expected. I had the same sub setup in another car although that was a station wagon and it was WAY louder.

I'm thinking that I need a high output alternator or the big 3 upgrade. However with my car being a Volvo any work to be done is sure to take days and be crazy difficult. I'm not very good with cars to begin with.

let me know what you guys think or if its something else entirely, sorry for the long post.

Thanks,

Kevin

Pioneer DEH-P4100UB

Alpine Type-S SPS-510 Car speaker - 55 Watt

Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers

Kenwood Kac-9105D 1800-Watt Class D Mono Amplifier

Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" Performance Series Subwoofer

Alpine MRP-F300 - Amplifier - V-Power - 4-channel

Kenwood KFC-ST30 120-Watt 13/16-Inch Component Tweeter

Thats the exact gear thanks!

No. I don’t understand why people think that removing a cap is going to fix anything. It sounds like your amps are starving for current. First measure the voltage at your amp with a volt meter with the car off and not playing. It should read at least 12.5 or better. Start the car with the help from a friend and watch how far the voltage drops when the car is cranking. The voltage should not drop under 10 Volts or you have a bad cell in the battery. Then observe the voltage when the car is on and the system is not playing. It should read 13.5 or better. Turn the system up to its breaking point and see how much the voltage drops. This wont measure current but if it’s dropping under 12v you know at that point that your cars charging system simply won’t do what you’re asking it to do. If all these parameters are up to par then try unhooking each sub one at a time and turn it up and see if you can get it to shut off again. If it shuts off then, you have a blown woofer. Make sure that the shop installing the system installed upgraded grounds to the batt, chass and block of the engine. Yes the big 3 thing. And you have good grounding at the amp. As long as you don’t have a 5 ft run from the cap to the amps 8awg is fine.

I agree that caps are just an add on sale that creat bling but I havn't had problems with them. There realy cool when you hook 120v ac to them. Hahaha. It becomes new years.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.