How to strengthen pre-fab sub box

Participant count
  • Participant list

pilotdog68
10+ year member

Omaha
I am somewhat lazy and dont have access to many tools, so I went out and bought a cheap box made out of ~5/8 mdf. I didnt realize how important box strength is. Some people say you can strengthen the box by adding dowels, or by coating the inside with polyester resin. one guy said he painted the inside with wood glue. do any of these work or are they all bull? if they do work, do they do enough to be worth the cost/hassle? are there any other suggestions for a quick fix? its a 10" sealed .70cf box, will run a 300wrms sub.

thanks for helping the newb here

Anything you do will be more or less just a band-aid. The enclosure is VERY important! But... polyster resin, or anything that you can use to make it as air tight as possible will help. Dowel rods (3/4"-1") will help as well.

I am somewhat lazy and dont have access to many tools, so I went out and bought a cheap box made out of ~5/8 mdf. I didnt realize how important box strength is. Some people say you can strengthen the box by adding dowels, or by coating the inside with polyester resin. one guy said he painted the inside with wood glue. do any of these work or are they all bull? if they do work, do they do enough to be worth the cost/hassle? are there any other suggestions for a quick fix? its a 10" sealed .70cf box, will run a 300wrms sub.
thanks for helping the newb here
your enclosure isn't large enough and you're not putting enough wattage to make a difference. only thing you might want to do is put a little extra silicone on the inside to ensure and air tight seal. anything else you do is just wasting money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.