Amp problem: 1 RCA plugged in sounding louder than both of them plugged in

mexiken
10+ year member

Ok, so the basics:

I originally had a Kenwood KAC-729S (yes I know its old) and 2 12' Kicker CompVR dual voice coil subs that I purchased back in 2002 (yes, everything still worked until recently)

This system is now in a 2nd car, a Honda Civic Hybrid with the stock Alpine Navigation head unit. Now, recently, my Kenwood amp finally shorted and blew out. So I purchased a Sony Xplod GTX-1852 amp (which, btw, is NOWHERE NEAR as powerful as my 10 year old Kenwood, as half way up on the gain on the Kenwood = maxed out on the Sony)

Now, heres the thing: I pulled over to the side of the road today to turn UP the amp (see above) and I noticed that to get the "sweet spot" in my car, I had to turn it all the way up. A buddy of mine warned me that Xplod's tend to blow out if you crank them all the way up, so I switched around the RCA's (red and white), thinking maybe they were just switched or something (with my Kenwood, switching the red and white made a difference, and since it was recently replaced, I thought maybe they made this mistake) and I noticed that with one RCA in alone, both speakers move, but they hit harder than with both plugged in. When I plug both in, I get a cleaner, yet softer sound.

Can anyone tell me why ???? I found a thread on this from 2005, but that guy's situation is one of the subs would stop moving. Mine both move, and MORE.

Also, I should note that I never tried unplugging one on my old Kenwood. It had juice to spare so I never had to turn it up that high. Any help please ????

P.S. Also, I'm reading the specs on both: The Kenwood was rated at (4 ohms): 200 W x 2 max, 100 W x 2 rated power output, and at (2 ohms): 150 W x2

While the Sony is rated at (4 ohms): 380 watts x 2 maximum power and 185 watts x 2 RMS

(2 ohms): 500 watts x 2 maximum power and 200 watts x 2 RMS

Now, maybe I'm confused, but given the specs, shouldn't the Sony hit HARDER, and not SOFTER, than my Kenwood ???? This isn't the case. Is something wrong ????

i dont get what u mean by both rca's......are u talking like 2 sets or just either the red or white plugged in
Sorry for not clarifying better, I mean just the red and white. Its an RCA converter running off my rear speakers (when I got it installed in my Honda, I believe they said I needed this since I didn't have a sub out from the Nav unit). I will update my original post to clarify.

Sorry for not clarifying better, I mean just the red and white. Its an RCA converter running off my rear speakers (when I got it installed in my Honda, I believe they said I needed this since I didn't have a sub out from the Nav unit). I will update my original post to clarify.
was there a stock sub in the car?

was there a stock sub in the car?
No. I believe that was an option to purchase one as an accessory if that makes any difference, but I just took this system (which was in my '68 Chevelle at the time) and had it installed in my Honda. They ran a power wire straight from batt to amp and ran another from an acc fuse (I believe) to the remote lead on the amp and the other wire being the ground which they grounded in the trunk.

i think he is using an LOC
I am. I'm sorry, since I didn't install this stuff myself, I'm not 100% sure what was used along every step.

I looked at the little box that runs from the rear speaker wires to the box where the RCA's start, and its an XScorpion Line Out Converter w/gain control. What does this mean ????

I called my guy who installed the new power wire (the old one I had melted some, so I had it replaced) and he said its either something is wired funny with my subs inside my box, or something is wired funny at the head unit. He said basically one RCA is "not filtering" and when I plug the other in, its cleaner sounding because its filtering.

What strikes me as odd, is as I originally posted, all specs are HIGHER on the Sony, yet it gives NOWHERE near the same performance turned up halfway on the gain. Is there a specific reason why ???? I almost wish I would have somehow gotten my old amp repaired instead of buying this new one =(

i'm thinkin the same
Could I turn up the gain on the converter without harming anything else ???? Or just leave it where it is ????

Edit: So upon further investigation, I discovered this: When I went to just fiddle with the gains on the line out converter, I noticed that one of them (the one marked "R") did ABSOLUTELY nothing. As in, turning it ALL the way up and all the way down made NO difference in the sound. The only one that did anything was marked "L" Turning it up and down had an effect on the level of the subs.

Taking it one step further, I discovered that the "red" female RCA at the LOC is essentially dead. When I plugged either white or red male RCA into the red female on the LOC, and then EITHER RCA male plug into the amp, nada, no sound. As soon as I switched it to the black female on the LOC, I got sound on my subs. So if red RCA male was in the black female, then red worked on either female RCA on the amp, and same thing with just switching the male plug side.

So at this point, I'm assuming that the LOC is bad, right ???? If not, then why does it work like that ???? And then that leads to my final, and original question: why would unplugging ONE of the RCA cables (the one thats plugged into the dead LOC RCA female) make my sound LOUDER ????

Hope this helps. Sorry if I'm crappy at explaining. I'm just trying to get this sorted out.

Last edited by a moderator:
well if the rca was truly "dead" you would get no sound. have you tried different RCA's. also playing with the LOC gain is just as bad as turning up the amp gain. neither of them is a volume know.

try a different set of rca's "preferably new", let us know what happens. if all goes well, set your **** gains CORRECTLY and leave them there for eternity, i know its amusing to hear it get louder but it's also not fun watching your voice coils smoking as your subs burn to the ground

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.