little benefit of adding 4th sub?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ryan shaw
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I've been designing boxes for either 3 or 4 Audiopulse axis subs in WinISD and these are the two i'm considering:

3 15" in 12 cubes tuned at 32, 3 6" aeros

4 15" in 14.1 cubes tuned at 33, 4 6" aeros

amp is a soundigital 8k

When i model it out, the output graph is identical from 25-38hz, and then after that it is only about a DB and a half higher. maybe it's just me but i feel like it should gain more from 33% more cone area and motor force.

I guess my question is, will it be a more noticeable difference real world than it is on winISD?

thanks guys!

doubling cone area or doubling power generally results with a 3db increase.

so you would see less than that because only a slight change in power and like you said 33% cone area. also less cubes/sub which will have a negative effect on dbs

so all in all i would bet you would see little to no change in dbs like you said.

the increase in cone area in ported boxs is much less likely to effect dbs because ported relies on resonance not displacement like in sealed.

youll also see some gains loading lower with the 4 subs. also youll get a lot more air movement across the board.when i went from 3 18s to 4 18s it was very noticeable especially below 30 hz. gained 2db at 29hz from 148 to 150s

youll also see some gains loading lower with the 4 subs. also youll get a lot more air movement across the board.when i went from 3 18s to 4 18s it was very noticeable especially below 30 hz. gained 2db at 29hz from 148 to 150s
but did you add appropriate airspace to previous enclosure?

well the axis's will work in 3.5 fine, 4 is just gravy. and ya that math makes sense.

I'm not really worried about the meters too much, I'm just trying to guess how much difference i'll feel and hear and if it's worth it.

BTW, quickest response i've had on a specific question in a while, thanks!

i built the box for 4 18s one was blown so i capped it off. the 3 subs in that box was the ideal enclosure. when i added the 4th the subs saw 5 cf per sub. if i could of gone bigger on the box im sure i would of seen better gains.

well the axis's will work in 3.5 fine, 4 is just gravy. and ya that math makes sense.
I'm not really worried about the meters too much, I'm just trying to guess how much difference i'll feel and hear and if it's worth it.

BTW, quickest response i've had on a specific question in a while, thanks!
dude honestly frickin do it. you want to so bad. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif thats what we are all about....

oh and you are from CO so basically you are a boss. I live in Durango, CO but go to school in Cali. WILL BE HOME IN 2 WEEKS!

haha ya from steamboat springs, go to school in boulder. Colorado is the ****!!

I'd love to do it, but it means giving up the whole cargo area of my aviator and another 300-400 bucks for the extra sub. and if i'm not gonna see much difference i'll stick to 3 gladly

haha ya from steamboat springs, go to school in boulder. Colorado is the ****!!
I'd love to do it, but it means giving up the whole cargo area of my aviator and another 300-400 bucks for the extra sub. and if i'm not gonna see much difference i'll stick to 3 gladly
what year are you??----> i am assuming CU?

i hear you there. idk wow factor is a consideration too lol

Senior at cu boulder!

And ya I'm afraid that's true. Lol if I have to uprgrade after this I will just sell my car and buy a bike

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.