Enclosed Box for DD Subwoofers?

jonathanengr1
10+ year member

Okay... everyone be patient with me here. It's been a while since I was dabbling in car audio and subs!

I wanted to add some low end to a boat stereo, and wanted to keep my purchases local. Now--back in my day about the only options were MTX, Rockford Fosgate and a few others, but now there seems to be hundreds to choose from. I went to a local car stereo shop, told them what I wanted to do and asked them for the best sub for the job. They all agreed that the entry-level digital design 500-series subs would do well (good bass, relatively inexpensive, and not ear-splitting loud), so I bought two 10" subs in an enclosure they built to fit in an area in my boat. They are driven by the sub channel of a Kicker ZXM 700.5 marine amp at a 2 ohm load (420w).

Well, they certainly added low end. These things are extremely potent--almost too much. However, the one thing I really don't care for is the way the subs sound... especially with songs that are bass-heavy. The bass sounds great for my 80's collection of songs, but any of the newer songs I like make the bass go haywire. It. Sounds. Horrible. It vibrates and sounds like an incredibly fast, deep machine gun rat-a-tat-tatting. Sort-of like the vibratory sound you hear of someone showing off their subs on youtube (a staccato hum instead of a smooth, deep tone).

Now--the box is ported--and I've never owned a ported box before. I always owned sealed enclosures and *loved* the way they sound (was a big RF fan back in the day), but then-again, that was during the 80's, and my 80's music sounded just fine on these subs. Anyway, here's my predicament.

First and foremost, I own these subs... they both got scratched when I put the box into the area on my boat, so no returns. Thus, although I'm sure there are lots of suggestions on other subs out there (I can imagine how lively a conversation that would be these days with all of the choices!), for now let's consider only the DD subs I own.

Okay... so I called the DD factory to ask about possibly separating the subs and putting them into two separate sealed enclosures, and asked what size sealed box I'd need. I couldn't see the guy on the other end of the phone, but I'm sure his expression was one of shock and horror. You'd think I was the only human being on earth to have ever asked this question (and maybe I am). He was very polite while he stuttered and stumbled the words "the same size box as the ported enclosure--1.5 cf per sub". He then added "we really don't endorse sealed boxes with our subs". I then went on to ask about the box I had... basically, the guys I bought this from had a ported box made for a single DD 10" sub (1.5 cf with a 24 square-inch port) and they said they could simply cut a hole for a second sub. Sounded good to me. However, DD recommends 1.5 cf PER 10" sub. So... here are my questions:

1) I know that DD subs are designed from the ground up for ported enclosures, but would they still sound good and/or pound in a sealed enclosure? Based on a Qts of 0.405 they seem to be in the realm of sealed boxes (I found this info in a forum post I Googled... still have no idea what Qts means... just that 0.4 or under tends to be good for ported, 0.4 to 0.7 is good for sealed and above 0.7 is free-air.... does this sound right?) Any idea of the size of the sealed enclosure I should build? When the guy said "the same size as ported" that threw me for a loop. Usually speakers that can be used in either a sealed or ported application require a much smaller sealed enclosure, and some subs have a very narrow recommended range of box sizes. I don't want to make a sealed box that will sound terrible or have no bass.

2) If everyone thinks I should go ported, was the box design sold to me inadequate? I mean--I really need 3 cf based on DD's specs, so could this bad sound be due to the too-small box? I've been researching the internet (dangerous, I know!) on tuning ported boxes, and many people recommend tuning low (30 hz ideally but no higher than 35 hz) if you want a more flat bass response like a sealed box. I stumbled onto a website to help tune a sub based on box size, etc., and have been tinkering with calcs for rectangular and round ports to tune the box down to 30 hz (looks like for a 1.5 cf box I'll need a 21-inch long 1.75 inch by 10 inch rectangular port or a 5 inch long 2" diameter round port... can anyone verify this? Any preference on port type? I know round ports can make more noise, but their easier to tune and are more compact. I assume flared is best to reduce noise). Again--should I do 1.5 cf per sub (I'd have to separate them to do this). I could still wire them in parallel to get the 2-ohm load.

Anyway, I know everyone has their own tastes, but I'm just not okay with my subs sounding like a really deep buzzer (again--this only happens on the really heavy, deep-bass songs). I want a good, distinct tone to each note that is a constant sound--nothing staccato. I would really, really appreciate any input you guys could give me. I'm a pretty handy finishing carpenter, so I can build whatever might be needed enclosure-wise.

Thanks so much!!

Sorry--one thing to add. The "heavy bass songs" I actually downloaded and added to my playlist to test out my new subs (Club Can't Handle Me, Boom, Boom, Pow, etc.), and they sounded AWESOME on my car system (single 10" enclosed sub--little MTX 4500 custom box for my truck) and my computer system (Logitech Z2300 w/subwoofer). The bass was deep, low and a very nice, even tone you could feel. I know the truck is a smaller confined space, but my office is about 15x25 feet... pretty doggone big for the little 8" or so sub to fill. No staccato or vibrating sound, and you know neither sub is a well-made as the DD subs. I'm confounded!

Yup--the same link I found! I tried to post the link but it said I couldn't (maybe because I'm a newbie?). So--you think I should keep the ported but separate them into two 1.5 cf boxes? (I would put both in a 3 cf box, but I can't fit that anywhere... I can use two 1.5 cf boxes and put one sub in the front and one in the back).

DD's should be used in ported enclosures. I know DD's woofer fairly well.

If you are running 2 woofers ported, in most cases, I would let them share a common chamber.

If you want to use both woofers I don't see that you really have any options other than using two boxes if you cant fit a 3 cu.ft box anywhere. What voice coil config do they have? If you can get decent power from your amp to one in a properly sized box you might be happy with the output from just one.

The DDs probably arent your best choice. As I believe jacob said, they create distortion (2nd?) which makes them soud louder generally. Not going to be the cleanest subs.

Could sound nice in a different enclosure but It seems you may be looking for something a bit more drastic.

How much low end are you looking for, and how much space do you have? If you are looking for something to blend, something in the order of a single 10 or 12 would be best in a sealed enclosure.

You may take a better look at some of the more sealed oriented enclosure. Like the epic (has a shorting ring I believe - low distortion), ssa dcon, polk subs, etc may be better choices. I dont know too many off the top of my head im mainly a ported guy.

Look up an enclosure calc and spec out your box to a Q of .707.

Edit - Dayton RS may be a good choice as well. Pretty cheap and low distortion sealed drivers.

The DDs probably arent your best choice. As I believe jacob said, they create distortion (2nd?) which makes them soud louder generally. Not going to be the cleanest subs.Could sound nice in a different enclosure but It seems you may be looking for something a bit more drastic.

How much low end are you looking for, and how much space do you have? If you are looking for something to blend, something in the order of a single 10 or 12 would be best in a sealed enclosure.

You may take a better look at some of the more sealed oriented enclosure. Like the epic (has a shorting ring I believe - low distortion), ssa dcon, polk subs, etc may be better choices. I dont know too many off the top of my head im mainly a ported guy.

Look up an enclosure calc and spec out your box to a Q of .707.

Edit - Dayton RS may be a good choice as well. Pretty cheap and low distortion sealed drivers.
Keep in mind the Q of an enclosure doesn't take into account cabin gain.

Buck.. youre talking to Surreal, I believe you understand I am aware of cabin gain. That will take its own toll, but as far as damping goes/transient response etc the butterworth should do well for him.

And if you read he said in a boat, so its basically half space depending where he puts it.

Buck.. youre talking to Surreal, I believe you understand I am aware of cabin gain. That will take its own toll, but as far as damping goes/transient response etc the butterworth should do well for him.And if you read he said in a boat, so its basically half space depending where he puts it.
I was just kind of throwing that out there. I'm kind of out of it actually. I've been talking to quite a few newer people and explaining things to them, so I'm just in that over-explanation kind of mood.

did you tell the shop what kind of music you want it to play well??? im not the biggest dd fan but in the right enclosure even the 95 series can get down and dirty.

Thanks for the replies!

Boy... I'm utterly confused!!! As for the music types I listen to, yes--I took a CD with me for them to listen to. Thus, they had in mind what type of music I intended to play.

At present, the box is in a back area of the boat large enough to fit it, but the box can't be a single bit bigger. The box was the "full sized" design on DD's website, and I thought about building the compact size for each of the two subs. I could even go full-sized but would have to do a little re-dimensioning.

I'm swinging by their shop today and will talk to them a bit more... who knows--maybe they'll swap out the subs (well--only one of them. One of them got scratched up pretty badly when lowering it into the area... had bolts sticking out I didn't see and it scraped it pretty good).

What about this idea... could I build an enclosed box 1.5 sf in volume, see if that helps, and if not, I could use a hole saw to cut an opening for a circular port. Could anyone comment on whether-or-not the port calculations I showed above are correct? Or are DD subs *completely* unusable in an enclosed box? I noticed the higher-end subs (35 and 95 series) have a VERY low Qts, but again, the 500 series have a Qts that seems to place them in the range of an enclosed box.

As for box size, how is that determined? Does a manufacturer keep trying different volumes until they hit a good one? What is the "Q" of an enclosure, and how is it calculated? When you say a "Q" of 0.707, is that for sealed or ported?

Sorry to ask so many questions. My knowledge of box building doesn't go much further than building a box to the manufacturer's specs. I never got into (or understood!) all of the actual calcs that lead to the result.

Also--can anyone confirm for certain that the box being too small (DD rec'ds 1.5 cf per sub, and I have the 2 subs in a 1.5 cf box) could be causing the distortion? It's just terrible... I was swimming in the lake, had the radio turned up semi-loud (30 out of 50), and it sounded GREAT. But when one of the bass-heavy songs came on it sounded terrible. Everyone was like "what in the $@#$ is THAT?" It really did sound bad... not musical at all.

Sounds like a box issue, but also take into consideration that you're running DD's absolute entry level sub. do you know what the box is tuned to?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.