want to buy BUTLER TUBE amp but HELP

strkrfan13
10+ year member

hi guys new here. I really could use the help! anyone please!

Im planning on buying a Butler Tube TBD475 4channel amp but a problem i have since it doesn't have built in crossovers...I have a clarion flagship HU DRZ9255 that has a high/mid/low/sub outputs. Im running hertz mille 3way(ribbons, tweets and 6.5mids) and Morel 9" midbasses in doors for a 4way frontstage. I have 4 amps total and all is ran ACTIVE through the headunit. Butler TBD275 going to ribbons, usamps tube 2channel driving subs, RF 2-channel driving midbasses, and a MBquart driving mids/highs which i plan on switching out for the tbd475. Now my question is:since my HU has only 4 outputs and i have 5 sets of speakers(including subs) how can i best intergrate this Butler 475 amp into my current setup since it has no crossovers?. The mbquart amp has preamp outputs that i was able to daisy chain to the RF 2-channel. The RF has outputs too though i noticed. I just dont how to run this 475 since it has no crossovers and my headunit has only 4outputs. ANY help is greatly appreciated

Im sorry, I wont be able to give you the best answer, but I will think about it. I just wanted to say that you have an incredible front stage! And envy that you are able to fit it all. Would you mind sending me some pics?

P.S. where did you get your Clarion?

I think the only way you could do it would be maybe putting an electronic crossover between the deck and the four channel. I think this is possible. So you could split the signal into a mid signal and a high signal and the electronic crossover would then be your active processor. Like I said I am not the best at this, but I think this could work. Which you would then maintain the rest of your amps and HU signals.

oh ok that makes sense. which crossover would u recommend then? any come to mind? i bought the DRZ at a local shop here in OC,ca
Your a lucky man. I have never heard tubes, I know they are expensive! Lol. Dont really understand the whole concept of having the tubes replaced, etc. And honestly I have never ran crossovers so I dont know. Maybe Zapco or some other high quality brand since your set up is very high quality. There may be someone selling one on the forum. How much did they DRZ hit for?

you HAVE to hear tube! its night and day difference from a solid-state amp. so much warmth and dynamic detail is brought out. the butler tube is a hybrid using transistors and tubes and the tubes never have to get replaced according to BK. Oh zapco makes crossovers? hmm didn't know..the DRZ cost me bout a grand at the time..its quite an older unit now im sure u can get it for way cheap now! try ebay haha

you HAVE to hear tube! its night and day difference from a solid-state amp. so much warmth and dynamic detail is brought out. the butler tube is a hybrid using transistors and tubes and the tubes never have to get replaced according to BK. Oh zapco makes crossovers? hmm didn't know..the DRZ cost me bout a grand at the time..its quite an older unit now im sure u can get it for way cheap now! try ebay haha
I will check some out soon. If I every get enough money. Haha. I was looking at Butler or Milbert. But thats nice that you dont gotta replace them. How strong is your sub tube amp? And yes Zapco, Linear Power, all kind of old school brands (the good brands). Since you are really into high quality, I think Sinfoni makes an EQ and some of those other super high brands too (seen on eBay). I have been beginning to transfer over to the old stuff, all my elders tell me they are so much better. Haha, but now you bring a whole new dimension with tube :/

And I found one on DIYMA for $700. Dont think I wanna pay that much right now. Maybe $500.

ps. which crossover do i need a 2way, 3way?
Well it will be an electronic crossover, its basically an EQ (I believe). Just must be able to take in one set of RCAs and split them into 2 separate signals. Which I am almost positive this is what they do. Like I said, I am not the best at this thing. But you would essentially only need 2 way, since you are just splitting the mids and highs.

ya check out Butler either the old butler/phaze or the new tube blue which i currently own. beautiful amp my ribbons sing! the milbert is im sure great and all and it should be for the price..but 30watts/channel? common! not enough for my loud taste haha.. i appreciate all ur help so far..ya if you come accross any i would be greatly appreciate it. im gonna start lookin' for 2way crossovers. thanks bud

ya check out Butler either the old butler/phaze or the new tube blue which i currently own. beautiful amp my ribbons sing! the milbert is im sure great and all and it should be for the price..but 30watts/channel? common! not enough for my loud taste haha.. i appreciate all ur help so far..ya if you come accross any i would be greatly appreciate it. im gonna start lookin' for 2way crossovers. thanks bud
No prob. And yea Ill get to looking. I was thinking the same thing, tube amps seem to have quite low power. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

One day I will have a front stage close to yours. Lol. You are my determination. And for sure. Ask again in the morning or tomorrow afternoon. I am sure you will get a lot more feedback.

yea most true tube amps are low power thats why i went with butler and usamps(150/2) haha i guess im doing ok considering i first started with a set of sony coaxials =D hehe..problem is once u get started into this mess you cant stop u keep wanting more and more SQ! im addicted! haha. thanks again Grimy will do

look into getting this:

PXE-H660 - ALPINE IMPRINT SOUND PROCESSOR AUDIO SYSTEM | eBay

or if you want control of it up front by your deck then look into this:

JBL MS-8 DIGITAL SOUND PROCESSOR LOGIC 7 AUTO EQ DSP | eBay

The first one is a little better IMO as it comes with a mic and allows best sound for your seat. If you are handy you can remove the control of the first one and solder in wires to move it up to the front location. That is what we did in my old car. I will see if I can find a pic of it when I get home. I had an older model wish I would have taken it out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

strkrfan13

10+ year member
strkrfan13
buena park oc. ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from