Underhung Amp Rack - Feedback/Rail Advice

gnesterenko
10+ year member

Ahoy all.

So I've looked at many-a-build log and have decided to go with the hang the amp-rack from underneath the rear deck design. [The sides of the trunk aren't really an option. The floor of the trunk is to be kept clean and open (for ski/snowboard season). Not enough room under the seats in the cab. And I didn't like the idea of mounting amps to the back of the rear fold-down seats. Which left the rear deck. Upside down I'm far to weary of to attempt.]

So! Below is the rough design drawing of what I'm looking to do. While I'm relatively happy with the design as it is (though feedback is appreciated), one particular sticking point for me is the rack slide hardware. I can easily find plenty of cabinet slider racks to accomodate the weight & size of the equipment. This is an acceptable solution, however I can see the point of difficulty being making any adjustments, and even connections on the backs of the amplifiers.

What I would really like to have are, sort of 2 stage slides. Stage one being that it simply slides out. Once the maximum is reached, the slide becomes a hindge, allowing the entire amplifier rack to fold downward, leaving the control bits of the amplifier facing upward, allowing for easy adjustment, maintenance, plugging/unplugging wires, etc... Once we're done, filp the rack back in line with the slide, push it back in, and lock it. I know I've used cabinets or whatnot that have used this type of slide rack hardware, but for the life of me, I have no idea what something like that would be called or where to look for one. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please, let me know.

Design Drawnings:

Amp rack in its 'locked' state. Though not illustrated, locking mechanism would be either

A) two simple security bolts on either side locking into the two frame MDF pieces (actually these may be 2x4's instead of MDF). or

B) The bottom support frame MDF piece (the piece connecting the left and right side of the rack frame, underneath the actual movable portion) would be cut back slightly at the front, with a hindged flap piece at the very front that would fold up to 'lock' the rack in place... this would allow for a carpeted 'cover' door for the rack, improving looks, that also serves as the locking mechanism ensuring everything stays in place while the vehichle is in motion.

ampracklocked.jpg

Amp rack in its 'extended' state. Or per above, the end of the first stage of the slide.

amprackextended.jpg

Though not drawn, the 2nd stage of the ideal rack would be after this point, where the entire front of the rack folds down while the rear is hindged, by this magical slide, at the frame.

Anyway, that's my spiel. Any feedback is appreciated and again, if anyone knows where I can find my magical 2-stage slide hardware, I would praise and sing your glory for days to come.

Posting from work, so need this disclaimer:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I hate mounting amps to rear deck as I've metered significant loss of output the more **** I put in between the trunk and cabin areas. I've done it before though for lack of any other place I want to put things.

Anyway, I'd use a separate hinge and sliderr. Just use either the sides of the drawer or a base below the drawer to keep the hinge from flopping down until it's pulled out past whatever point you want it to slide down on.

What car is this going in? I use trunk tray's at work for mounting equipment in trunks of cars. So you can buy them already made depending on the car. I know for sure they have them for crown vic's. Check out the link. The only thing I would worry about is vibrations but that depends on power and amount of subs your running. Instead of drilling or bolting your amps use insert nuts that makes things easy to work with when you need to remove or work on things.

http://www.1patriot.com/1patriot/Main/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=41&Itemid=12

Found an alternative to the fold down that I may actually prefer in terms of usability, though not nearly as slick. Basically they are slide rails with some release mechanism (button or lever) that detaches the rails. Considering I'm using JL HD amps with the nifty plugs, that would make the install a breeze to work with - just need to make sure I have enough slack wiring... managing which I thought of doing with something like this: Sunline® Retractable Reel Clothes Dryer . Creative adaptation of the product, I feel.

Towel-Bars.com - Product #KVM-UCR-HINGE-N - Knape and Vogt Hinges for Under Cabinet Pull Down Racks - PAIR (Zinc) maybe this will work? not exactly what you want but might work for the same type of look
That is very close to the truth. The only thing there that I'm worried about is how much weight its supposed to support. Will have to look into it. Or stick w/ the detachable rails idea.. hmmm

What car is this going in? I use trunk tray's at work for mounting equipment in trunks of cars. So you can buy them already made depending on the car. I know for sure they have them for crown vic's. Check out the link. The only thing I would worry about is vibrations but that depends on power and amount of subs your running. Instead of drilling or bolting your amps use insert nuts that makes things easy to work with when you need to remove or work on things.
This is going into a 5th Gen Camry. The trunk trays do look nice, but foreign import and all. Plus price? Re vibrations - everything's getting heavily sound deadened in the trunk (CLD, 3/8" CCF, 1/8" MLV) and rear deck. I'm driving 750W max, rarely if ever at full tilt, so should be covered with that regard. Tanks for the insert nuts tip, will be sure to, does look to make things easier.

Shouldn't be too difficult to mount actually. I spotted bolt holes already in the deck that aren't used for anything and basically in a perfect spot. Though I may add a piece of MDF underneath to spread the weight out.

Towel-Bars.com - Product #KVM-UCR-HINGE-N - Knape and Vogt Hinges for Under Cabinet Pull Down Racks - PAIR (Zinc) maybe this will work? not exactly what you want but might work for the same type of look
That is very close to the truth. The only thing there that I'm worried about is how much weight its supposed to support. Will have to look into it. Or stick w/ the detachable rails idea.. hmmm

This is going into a 5th Gen Camry. The trunk trays do look nice, but foreign import and all. Plus price? Re vibrations - everything's getting heavily sound deadened in the trunk (CLD, 3/8" CCF, 1/8" MLV) and rear deck. And I'm driving 750W max, though rarely if ever at full tilt. And good call on the insert nuts, will be sure to.

I hate mounting amps to rear deck as I've metered significant loss of output the more **** I put in between the trunk and cabin areas. I've done it before though for lack of any other place I want to put things.
Anyway, I'd use a separate hinge and sliderr. Just use either the sides of the drawer or a base below the drawer to keep the hinge from flopping down until it's pulled out past whatever point you want it to slide down on.
Why do you lose power just from amp mounting location?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.