Cd player in drop down glove box, help please.

Participant count
  • Participant list

saywhat?
5,000+ posts

satx120, jealous?
I made a mock up of my glovebox build today but I don't know if I want to glass it or just do ABS work on it...or just use 1/4 inch MDF. I used cardboard to mock it up and don't mind the flat surfaces at all really, I just don't know what size ABS plastic would be best for the build. Would something like 1/8 inch be thick enough? I'm thinking I would just scuff/sand the mating edges and use some kind of epoxy like duramix 40/40 or similar to bond it and make it rigid.

Does anybody have any tips for me, or can confirm thickness of the ABS needed? Pic below.

217329_10150568085515607_558620606_18235920_2280944_n.jpg

CD player, as in a standard single din stereo? You could get away with any thickness if you make a mount for it behind the panel. I'd think of the final panel as cosmetic only, and do the rest behind it.

Best wishes.

but thats cardboard. lol.

i want to be able to mount it and smooth it in so its not just like a piece of abs or wood in there. I want it to look like all one piece.

any tips?

but thats cardboard. lol.
i want to be able to mount it and smooth it in so its not just like a piece of abs or wood in there. I want it to look like all one piece.

any tips?
Use textured black plastic board, will help disguise the meeting point. Or, some plastics are easily molded, contoured, bent when heated. You may be able to make a bend using just one piece of plastic.

Hope that helped.

this is my other option, just a flat piece.

221713_10150568528985607_558620606_18240918_4083466_n.jpg

i want to blend the upper edge into the edge of the glovebox and then the edges of the wood on the sides into the glovebox plastic. is there a certain epoxy to use with wood to plastic joints or do i just need to use some smooth ABS plastic and some duramix type two part rigid epoxy?

i've been the wood route before, not this time. i just want it all smoothed/primed so when the dash gets done i can match it. i just dont know what materials to use to get it where i can do just that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.