I have searched and am stuck.

Participant count
  • Participants list

KMS
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
SoCal
Well I have been reading the forums and searching threads for a while now and have seen a lot of people have the same statement. It's better to give a sub more power then to underpower it. Well I have pretty much two subs in mind but don't want to over power one and kill it. And the other one i hear it will want more power with the amp i'll be running. I'm in a pickle right now between the

Sundown SA12 and the Incriminator 187(12") Or even the Lethal Injection. Or something else.

The amp I'll be using is a Crescendo 1000c4 3-4 channels bridged (500rms) for the time being.

I will upgrade to a mono later down the road. That will be for another time since I have yet to make up my mind on what one to choose.

The sub will be in a 2.4cube box tuned at 30hz. Thanks.

Under powering has no effect on a sub what so ever. Its not unde rpowering that kills a sub its clipping weather it be over powered or under powered.

Now you can over power a sub, but only if you do it cleanly in the right box.

Having more power on tap (also called head room) with an amp is also a good thing. It helps prevent clipping if tuned properly and gives you head room before you actually reach the clipping point if you ever get that far.

Under powering has no effect on a sub what so ever. Its not unde rpowering that kills a sub its clipping weather it be over powered or under powered.
Now you can over power a sub, but only if you do it cleanly in the right box.

Having more power on tap (also called head room) with an amp is also a good thing. It helps prevent clipping if tuned properly and gives you head room before you actually reach the clipping point if you ever get that far.
Yeah I think I clipped my last sub with the gain 3/4th of the way up. But now I have a DMM and will try not to go over 60% on the gain. If anything 400rms should be great set with the dmm until I get the monoblock.

SA12 was my first choice to get so I may just end up getting that. More oponions would be helpful from everyone. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah I think I clipped my last sub with the gain 3/4th of the way up. But now I have a DMM and will try not to go over 60% on the gain. If anything 400rms should be great set with the dmm until I get the monoblock.
SA12 was my first choice to get so I may just end up getting that. More oponions would be helpful from everyone. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
All amps clip at a different point. You cant go based on percentages or the dial. I suggest you read this post here. More importantly pay attention to the equation.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/65167/page/1#Post1294233

Example:
I have a single subwoofer with 4 ohm DVC coils. I'll wire the coils in parallel for a 2 ohm load. The sub is rated for 500W RMS.

I have a single amplifier rated 500W x1 at 2 ohms. I want all of that power available (knowing that power will only happen for small durations).

Volts = SQRT (500W x 2 ohms)

Volts = SQRT (1000)

Volts = 31.6VAC

Yup, I was using this chart to set my front stage components that are rated at 90rms. The amp does 125rms and set it with a DMM. I set it to 19.7 so it should be a little over 90rms and the gain is barely a quarter of the way up.

Underpowering a sub doesn't hurt it at all.....................?

Ahh, see you're talking about clipping...............NVM
underpowering a sub will never hurt it. what kills speakers when you overpower them is the coil heats up past it's thermal limits, the suspension hits it's mechanical limits, or the coil hits the back plate. underpowering won't do any of these, so you can't kill a sub by underpowering it

Even if it wasnt clipped, underpowering will never hurt. Refer to Audioholics signature.
underpowering a sub will never hurt it. what kills speakers when you overpower them is the coil heats up past it's thermal limits, the suspension hits it's mechanical limits, or the coil hits the back plate. underpowering won't do any of these, so you can't kill a sub by underpowering it
Where did i say underpowering a speaker will hurt it? Read the FIRST statement of my post. I was going to mention clipping but i saw it was being discussed, so i said NVM.

And driving a car BELOW the speed limit doesn't hurt it either.

Towing LESS than your hitch capacity it OK too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.