Sign in to follow this  
Jager

Few questions about 2500wrms system.

I will be running a FI BTL 15 d2 off of an Orion 2500d. Box is about 4 cubes tuned to 34z. I have a 180 amp alt, an optima yellow top for front battery, and a batcap 800 for back battery. I will have big 3 done in 2/0 welding cable.

questions:

1. Is it worth having multiple runs of 0 gauge from front battery to back, or will 1 be enough?

2. Is it worth getting a second batcap for my trunk, or should I install what I got, see what my electrical is at, and just go from there?

3. Do I need an isolator inbetween batcap and optima?

4. Do I need to fuse between Batcap and amp?

I will be running a FI BTL 15 d2 off of an Orion 2500d. Box is about 4 cubes tuned to 34z. I have a 180 amp alt, an optima yellow top for front battery, and a batcap 800 for back battery. I will have big 3 done in 2/0 welding cable.

questions:

1. Is it worth having multiple runs of 0 gauge from front battery to back, or will 1 be enough?

One would be ok, but multiple runs wouldn't hurt...

2. Is it worth getting a second batcap for my trunk, or should I install what I got, see what my electrical is at, and just go from there?

Yes. That one 800 is not going to cut it. Wait...what are you wiring the amp to? If you're wiring it to 1 ohm then no way in hell. Also, if that Yellow Top is under your hood as a starter battery you might as well replace it too. Deep cycle batteries will ALL die eventually if used as a primary start up because they are not designed to discharge/recharge like a regular AGM lead-acid.

3. Do I need an isolator inbetween batcap and optima?

Not unless you plan on running your system with the car off a lot.

4. Do I need to fuse between Batcap and amp?

I would, but it's not a "must."

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By fatmatt2003
      I just recently bought 2 12'' orion xtr subs, new in a ported box. Then decided to get a Orion amp, I found a old school Orion 4004 on craigslist for dirt cheap , hooked it up and works great, I wired both subs bridged on the rear channels and had the 4 guage power/ground wire ran professionally at a retuable car audio shop. Everything was good and i mean great , the xtr's are slamming hard but that 4004 amp gets stupid hot , I've read some other reviews and learned that the amp has a protection agianst heat and shuts down at 190 degress. So after about 15-20 mins the amp just shuts down, Then when cooling down comes back on for about 2-3 mins then repeats itself. I tried turning down the gain to less then half way and even tried messing with my head unit to adjust the bass and input , it still gets very hot and kinda defeats the purpose of having that amp. when the gain is at a somewhat safe level , it is like the subs are not even on (very little bass). I belive the subs are the 2-ohm version , but do not know for sure. anybody know what to do?does anyone think a fan would help ???
    • By audiophile831
      as the title says, i was on ebay looking at these and it says their the same just different color. Is this true.. why are they cheaper then??? Anyone hooked them up and compared these?

Oh sorry i meant to say the kinetik hc2000 vs the kinetik kr2712
    • By john.mulvehill
      The setup in my car is a JL 12w7 in a high output box powered by a JL 1000/1v2 slash amp. I am using my stock car battery and I did NOT do a big 3 upgrade.

This setup worked without any problems for a couple weeks. However, yesterday I was driving and I turned the head unit from volume 0 to 47 (max is 60) very quickly. There was a very bass heavy song on and I also had the air conditioning on. When the volume got up to 47 all these warning lights flashed on my dashboard. Keep in mind that I had played my system at that volume level almost every day for the past 2 weeks without issue. However, this particular time, I cranked the volume up pretty quick. The warning lights on the dashboard were the following:

-ABS Fault
      -Brake light on
      -Stabilitrak issue (either an error or saying it was off)
      -Check Engine Light On
      -Check Engine message on the display
      -Contact Dealer with a red X flashing

Also, my gas gauge was all the way down on empty even though I had 3/4 tank of gas.

I pulled over and had the car towed to the dealership. They weren't able to look at it until Thursday morning. They looked at it all day and said they don't know what to do. They said that they had never encountered something like this before. They said that whenever they turn the car on, all the warning lights come on and the gas gauge and other gauges go to empty. They think it's an electrical problem and said they are going to start ripping my dash apart tomorrow to fix it.

I am pretty sure that this problem was caused by rapidly turning up the head unit quickly. My car's alternator puts out 130 amps not under load. And the JL 1000/1 is rated to take 90 amps at max (could be higher). So, if I had the AC going and I turned the head unit up quickly, could this have caused a voltage surge and messed up the electrical system?

Assuming the shop fixes all this (and hopefully doesn't charge me since my car is under warranty), what can I do to prevent this from happening again? Do I need to do the big 3 upgrade? I read online that you should do the big 3 upgrade if your amp pulls more than 800 watts RMS or if your headlights dim. My headlights dim and my amp pulls 1,000 watts RMS. Also, I read online that my stock battery is small. So, should I....

1. Do the big 3 upgrade?
      2. Install a 2nd battery that is dry cell and can perform cranking
      3. Upgrade my alternator?
      4. Anything else?

Please let me know which of the above three items I should do to prevent this from happening again.

I got an estimate from a local shop and they want $200 for the labor and wires to do the big 3 upgrade. And they want $330 for a VMAX CT-1000 charge tank, and $90 PAC-200 battery isolator. It comes out to around $860 with tax and labor. Is this reasonable?

I think I might be OK with my alternator since it is putting out 130 amps. A dedicated battery for the amp and the big 3 upgrade might be enough. But I definitely don't want this to happen again after they fix the car. They don't even know how to fix the car at this point

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks!
    • By john.mulvehill
      The setup in my car is a JL 12w7 in a high output box powered by a JL 1000/1v2 slash amp. I am using my stock car battery and I did NOT do a big 3 upgrade.

This setup worked without any problems for a couple weeks. However, yesterday I was driving and I turned the head unit from volume 0 to 47 (max is 60) very quickly. There was a very bass heavy song on and I also had the air conditioning on. When the volume got up to 47 all these warning lights flashed on my dashboard. Keep in mind that I had played my system at that volume level almost every day for the past 2 weeks without issue. However, this particular time, I cranked the volume up pretty quick. The warning lights on the dashboard were the following:

-ABS Fault
      -Brake light on
      -Stabilitrak issue (either an error or saying it was off)
      -Check Engine Light On
      -Check Engine message on the display
      -Contact Dealer with a red X flashing

Also, my gas gauge was all the way down on empty even though I had 3/4 tank of gas.

I pulled over and had the car towed to the dealership. They weren't able to look at it until Thursday morning. They looked at it all day and said they don't know what to do. They said that they had never encountered something like this before. They said that whenever they turn the car on, all the warning lights come on and the gas gauge and other gauges go to empty. They think it's an electrical problem and said they are going to start ripping my dash apart tomorrow to fix it.

I am pretty sure that this problem was caused by rapidly turning up the head unit quickly. My car's alternator puts out 130 amps not under load. And the JL 1000/1 is rated to take 90 amps at max (could be higher). So, if I had the AC going and I turned the head unit up quickly, could this have caused a voltage surge and messed up the electrical system?

Assuming the shop fixes all this (and hopefully doesn't charge me since my car is under warranty), what can I do to prevent this from happening again? Do I need to do the big 3 upgrade? I read online that you should do the big 3 upgrade if your amp pulls more than 800 watts RMS or if your headlights dim. My headlights dim and my amp pulls 1,000 watts RMS. Also, I read online that my stock battery is small. So, should I....

1. Do the big 3 upgrade?
      2. Install a 2nd battery that is dry cell and can perform cranking
      3. Upgrade my alternator?
      4. Anything else?

Please let me know which of the above three items I should do to prevent this from happening again.

I got an estimate from a local shop and they want $200 for the labor and wires to do the big 3 upgrade. And they want $330 for a VMAX CT-1000 charge tank, and $90 PAC-200 battery isolator. It comes out to around $860 with tax and labor. Is this reasonable?

I think I might be OK with my alternator since it is putting out 130 amps. A dedicated battery for the amp and the big 3 upgrade might be enough. But I definitely don't want this to happen again after they fix the car. They don't even know how to fix the car at this point

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks!
    • By TheGDog
      During high-volume playback (meaning with volume at like 37, 38 or 39 out of 50) when I focused on a particular song for troubleshooting this issue (so I'd have a constant thing I could use to measure whether a new step I tried had a positive effect) the outpu of the highs+mids (aka the 4ch amp) just dims-out, fades down.

When this happens I can turn the volume back down to like maybe 34 and you can hear the highs+mids slowly start creeping back up until they return to what they should sound like.

It's not the gains. I tuned them individually (meaning 4ch amp was tuned with the SUB output set to ATTenuate so I could hear the 4ch amp playing solo). For the 4ch amp I tuned the gains to sound as high as they could before distorting with volume at like 38 with no eq settings whatsoever.

From what I understand and have figured out from reading a buttload of forums, this symptom sounds like an issue related to power delivery to the 4ch amp.

Because of this issue I decided to add a 2nd battery HC600 out back behind my rear seats near the amps.

It is also because of this issue that I did the Big 3 upgrade to 4 Gauge Monster Cable.

It is also because of this issue that I returned a JENSEN Power 760 and decided to go with a more name-brand amp instead thinking at first the JENSEN was more than likely the culprit since it's sort of a lesser brand.

It is because of this issue that I went back and also ran the 4 gauge ground wire in Parallel (as well as the power I initially did) from starter to 2nd battery per Kinetik's instructions.

This problem is annoying as all get-out!! Spent 2 hrs searching these forums. Did not find anything similar enough to my issue to give me some insight so posting my question.

DETAILS:
      =======
      2002 Ford Explorer SportTrac
      Stock Alternator (130 Amp)
      Big 3 done (w 4 gauge).
      Starter Battery = DuraLast Gold (Autozone less then year old)
      2nd Battery Kinetik HC600 (Wired in Parallel w 4 Guage with StarterBattery)
      4 Gauge off 2nd battery Pos+ to Non-fused Distribution Block
      2 (no name) short 4 Gauge pieces from Dist Block to both amps.
      4ch amp Grounded to 2nd Battery. (previously to chassis w same problem occuring)
      Mono amp Grounded to Rear Seat Bolt.

Headunit = Sony CDX GT630UI (Problem occurs CD or USB)
      4ch Amp = Pioneer D9500F (same symptoms w Jensen Power760 I tried before this)
      Mono Amp = HITRON HA.1000-1 (Has always played fine)

Most of the ring terminals involved are the nice Allen-wrench cinch kind (either Monster 300 series, of Stinger Gold-Plated) except for maybe 2 of the Big 3 wires (which are Monster 200 series crimps). All but one of the crimped connector (all done in table-vise) were also soldered rapidly via Propane Torch w same Flux I used for my Copper plumbing in recent bathroom remodel. I think Alternator Pos+ (not Monster 200 series) was the only one just crimped w/out solder and the connection to battery side is nice Allen-wrench kind.

NOTE: Finsihed Alternator Case to Frame chassis of Big 3 upgrade this evening. It seems my car idles a teeny bit higher/better now and I'd swear the lights look brighter. but the issue STILL happens with the 4ch amp output!!!

NOTE: Things that come to my mind to possibly try at this point are...:
      =====================================================
      - Perhaps NOT connect 4ch Ground to 2nd Battery Ground since Mono amp is not connected to 2nd Battery but connect to Rear Seat anchor bolt and seems to do fine.
      - I DO NOT have the speaker-wire to the 4 doors fully upgraded to thicker stuff. I only used aftermarket speaker-wire to connect from where I cut the wires.... to run back to amp.. then run back to the other side of where I cut the wire to then let the factory wire that was there feed the power into the speakers in the doors. The outpu of the 4ch Pioneer is CEA Compliant 75 W RMS per channel. Even with the skinny wire from factory is SHOULD be able to hang with this.. right? I mean... it does sound kick-*** for those 30-40 seconds where it's playing back the music at full-tilt volume.
      - Replace Starter Battery with an AGM battery of some kind? I was thinking Kinetik 1800 but since then I have read a thread where a gentleman with a 2003 Explorer said it was too tall and he couldn't close his hood.
      - Replace Mono amp with a Class D amp to draw less power perhaps?

Any insight, or thoughts on what to look at, test, or try next would be Greatly appreciated. Thanx.