How much do I need to upgrade

Jager
10+ year member

Im going to be running a Orion 2500d to a fi btl 15. I have big 3 done and own a yellow top optima, and a batcap 800. not sure if I wan to run these batterys though. Opinions on what I should run, if I should keep these batterys... also what would be a good alternator choice?

What kind of vehicle do you have (do you know stock alternator output)? Will this system be used daily only or to compete? What group number is the optima?

Im from st. cloud too.. moved up here to go to school. But I have a oldsmobile intrigue, and im going for more of a daily setup. not sure what alt is stock..

That was gonna be my suggestion, if he has something like a 60 amp alt then I was gonna say depends on how big the optima is. Also can just turn the gain down a little, if your voltage drop is too much. Lets hope winter is over, I am ready to start my massive spring build //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

A basic safe estimate is 75 amps per 1000 RMS watts. Or you can be more accurate and use the formulas. Power/Voltage=Current. Then you take Current/Efficiency of amp. I am not sure what voltage the orion is rated at so for sakes we will say 2500/14.4=174amps. Now I will take a safe side estimate and go with 70 percent efficiency. So 174/.7=249 amps. Since your going daily you can divide that number in 1/2 and get roughly 125 amps to safely run that amp daily. I think this is pretty accurate but if I am incorrect someone can chime in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.