need help installing two 8W1v2 JL subs to a mono amplifier. HELP HELP!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

dubstep009
10+ year member

NC
right now i have one 8W1v2 JL sub hooked up to a infinity amplifier and im looking forward to get another sub (same brand and design) for this upcoming summer. i have done plenty of research on how to hook up the two subs to a mono amp and ended up here in this forum. so far i found out that since this subs have only one channel (with 4ohms each) i have to bridge one sub to one another and end up with 2ohms and so my amp has to be able to take more than 600watts? please someone correct me if im wrong on any of this, any help will be greatly appreciated.

yeah like the thing here is...I honestly dont know what to do here in this situation with two 4ohm subs and a mono amp. so does my amp have to have more than 600watts? or could it be a simple jl amp with 300watts? i see the diagram in the website that you send me. i think it clears most of it up.

Your sub can handle 150 watts continuous (RMS). If your subs are 4ohm speakers, if you hook up one of your subs, the amp sees it as a 4ohm load. If you connect a second amp , your amp now sees it as a 2 ohm load. For every speaker you hook up you cut the ohms in 1/2. So if you added a third speaker, your amp now sees a 1ohm load and a fourth sub would yield a 1/2 ohm load.

Most amps are capable of handling a 2ohm load. It's when you get to 1 and 1/2 ohm loads that you typically have to check the specs on.

Depending on your amp, by adding a 2nd speaker, you typically double your power to the speakers. Some JL amps keep the same power when you do this so you will have to check with your amp. Example: I believe the JL 500/1 remains 500 watts even if you add a second amp.

So if your amp is say 200 x 1. When you add a second sub you will either get 400 x 1 or 200 x 1 to each speaker, depending how it's rated.

What amp are you using?

If I have given any incorrect info, some of the veteran forum members feel free to correct me. Just figured I would try and contribute to the forum.

Your sub can handle 150 watts continuous (RMS). If your subs are 4ohm speakers, if you hook up one of your subs, the amp sees it as a 4ohm load. If you connect a second amp , your amp now sees it as a 2 ohm load. For every speaker you hook up you cut the ohms in 1/2. So if you added a third speaker, your amp now sees a 1ohm load and a fourth sub would yield a 1/2 ohm load.
Most amps are capable of handling a 2ohm load. It's when you get to 1 and 1/2 ohm loads that you typically have to check the specs on.

Depending on your amp, by adding a 2nd speaker, you typically double your power to the speakers. Some JL amps keep the same power when you do this so you will have to check with your amp. Example: I believe the JL 500/1 remains 500 watts even if you add a second amp.

So if your amp is say 200 x 1. When you add a second sub you will either get 400 x 1 or 200 x 1 to each speaker, depending how it's rated.

What amp are you using?

If I have given any incorrect info, some of the veteran forum members feel free to correct me. Just figured I would try and contribute to the forum.
Nope. You divide the starting load by the number of subs. For example, 4 ohms / 3 subs = 1.3 ohms and 4 ohms / 4 subs = 1ohm

okay i now i get what the whole ohm deal is thank you. as of right now i have a infinity 1300a amp hooked to the jl sub and i have 4 JL speakers hooked up there too, also with the kenwood stereo and tweeters. i saw online this amp the JL Audio G1300 and wondering if i could hook up two JL Audio 8W1v2-4 to it. you think this is going to work fine? it says there that it only has 300watts and i might need a 600watt amp or higher for my two subs?

Nope. You divide the starting load by the number of subs. For example, 4 ohms / 3 subs = 1.3 ohms and 4 ohms / 4 subs = 1ohm
Thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected. I was trying to remember from my teenage years from 20 years ago. Wow, I'm only 35 but that statement makes me sound REALLY old. LOL.

All these years, I thought with each additional sub, it cut the ohm in 1/2. Learn something new every day. Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.