some tracks sound like ***, some really awesome

jcmuse
10+ year member

florida
system in sig. I find some of my music sounds really good, but some doesn't. I believe i've traced this problem to the quality of the encode to mp3. some encodes just sound like crap, although they sound perfectly fine on my home system. Can someone please explain, technically, why this is?

Is it because of all the amplifying that is going on? Its so annoying because my headunit doesn't play lossless audio formats. How do you guys handle this?

Its the encoding of the MP3. The human ear cant detect any loss in MP3 files that are 224kbps and under. Make sure your getting atleast 224kbps or better. A 320kbps is lossless format to the human ears. That being said just because an MP3 is 320kbps doesnt mean its going to sound better than a 224kbps MP3. For instance some people up convert a 128kbps MP3 to a 320kbps MP3. You cant do that. You cant physically reconstruct the bits that were taken out when the MP3 was compressed to a 128kbps. You cant reconstruct something that has physically been removed without a proper copy of the music. The Epicenter Retro recommended wont help you at all and will likely make your issue worse.

Its the encoding of the MP3. The human ear cant detect any loss in MP3 files that are 224kbps and under. Make sure your getting atleast 224kbps or better. A 320kbps is lossless format to the human ears. That being said just because an MP3 is 320kbps doesnt mean its going to sound better than a 224kbps MP3. For instance some people up convert a 128kbps MP3 to a 320kbps MP3. You cant do that. You cant physically reconstruct the bits that were taken out when the MP3 was compressed to a 128kbps. You cant reconstruct something that has physically been removed without a proper copy of the music. The Epicenter Retro recommended wont help you at all and will likely make your issue worse.
Dude you are wrong about the Epicenter. Sorry bro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opEDRNcT8AI

It was engineered to fix his exact problem, as if I know how it works? Rofl explain why It doesn't work?
It "works" alright. I already explained to you exactly why it wont work. MP3's when they are encoded are a lossy format. They lose certain bits. You cant add bits that are physically gone properly. Its impossible unless you use some sort of advanced algorithm, which is only 1 bass processor Ive ever seen.

The Epicenter is nothing more than a glorified distortion unit. It doesnt use any advanced algorithms to figure out the frequencies of the bass. According to its very own manual it just "injects low frequency info into the path". All it does is enhance the distortion to make it sound like bass is being added, when infact its not and can cause huge issues with clipping if your not careful.

You should take a minute. Do some research on MP3's, encoding, and lossy/lossless formats and then come back and tell me the bass processors are worth the money. Even if they did work its still a waste of money. Download from a legit source and use those rather than spending $100 to fix something thats free.

It "works" alright. I already explained to you exactly why it wont work. MP3's when they are encoded are a lossy format. They lose certain bits. You cant add bits that are physically gone properly. Its impossible unless you use some sort of advanced algorithm, which is only 1 bass processor Ive ever seen.
The Epicenter is nothing more than a glorified distortion unit. It doesnt use any advanced algorithms to figure out the frequencies of the bass. According to its very own manual it just "injects low frequency info into the path". All it does is enhance the distortion to make it sound like bass is being added, when infact its not and can cause huge issues with clipping if your not careful.

Just base your life decisions on YouTube videos and marketing hype like the rest of the world please.

You should be ashamed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

THE BOTTOM LINE IS ANY CD YOU GET FROM THE STORE IS GARBAGE COMPARED TO A SPECIALLY TUNED TRACK AIMED AT LOWS LIKE A PSYPH MORRISON CD WHICH I AM SUPER IMPRESSED WITH BY THE WAY...No Cd and I mean Cd mp3 or not has ever sounded as loud and clear as this free DL Psyph CD I got from smd..And I have no clue how that **** works all I know is when I demo I run it because It blows all others out of the water.

YOU THINK ANYONE HAS THE POWER TO GET OG RECORDINGS OF EVERYTHING TO RE-ENGINEER IT ROFL~!!!

The one easily accessible $150 unit that was designed for this exact purpose you shoot down and insult me in the process when I'm just trying to help...Dude..Not cool.

Just base your life decisions on YouTube videos and marketing hype like the rest of the world please.
You should be ashamed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Sorry bro. Im a realist and I dont believe in spending money when you can fix the issue for free. Makes perfect sense to me. Like I said anything thats a properly encoded 320kbps MP3 is going to be lossless to the human ear. Its impossible to hear any difference between a 320kbps MP3 and an originally recorded track.

PS. The Chesky Audiophile Ultimate Demo CD is a great one. Check that out sometime.

Storage is cheap enough now that you shouldnt need to use low bitrate MP3's.

Whitedragon is right, its the format thats messing you up, but I would say get bigger storage and stop using MP3 entirely.

Uhhh you can't "restore" badly-encoded mp3s, you have to start with a good recording. Digital music is not like an old car ya know. My old Clarion decks has a feature that's suppose to fix bad mp3s but it doesn't do crap, it actually made it sound worse.

Instead of spending more money why not just get good-quality mp3s? Ain't that hard to find a free, good copy of anything you want on torrent sites.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.