Old School HiFonics VIII Help

Participant count
  • Participants list

bigdwiz
10+ year member

Old School Rulz!
NC
Ok guys, I must be going crazy here. I downloaded the manual from Maxxsonics for the Viiii amps and it appears they are showing the connections in reverse.

Here is a screen capture from the hifonics VIII manual:

1220576899_YoYKg-M.jpg

Now, here is a picture of the amp itself and the way I believe the wiring should be connected. Can someone please verify my diagram?

1220576935_6w2ZL-M.jpg

The best I can tell by my research, my diagram is correct and the HiFonics manual shows the connections upside down (or in reverse). Anyone who can confirm or please correct me if I'm wrong ? The pictures I've seen on Ampguts show the + and - connections as I list them above.

----

You need to pull the end plate off and trace back. Those connectors appear to have been replaced/modified, so it could be wired ANY way. I'm not a series VIII guy, but i have a lot of series VII.

You need to pull the end plate off and trace back. Those connectors appear to have been replaced/modified, so it could be wired ANY way. I'm not a series VIII guy, but i have a lot of series VII.
Yeah, I've pulled the end plate off and it gives me no indication (no internal wiring). The connectors are factory from what I can tell, just missing the "Utilink" connectors for the speakers and power:

Power:

1220631426_vwkBo-M.jpg

Speaker/Remote:

1220631440_vJs7s-M.jpg

Connector(s) view from guts:

1220631473_4nxqd-M.jpg

1220631487_4NB4e-M.jpg

---

Upon further research, I've found the following:

1) My wiring diagram is accurate

2) The Utilink power plug was tooled specifically for the VIII amps and according to Zed is no longer made. The good thing is spade connectors work fine!

3) The Utilink (type) speaker plugs are still available. About $10 on eBay and I'm searching for a cross-reference part on digi-key.

Maybe this info will help someone else who has a HiFonics VIII amp.

---

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.