Is there a way to repair an enclosure?

focused313
10+ year member

Learning With Every Post
Michigan
Enclosure - Ported box. 2 Single-chambers. 12"

I noticed my bass sounded horrible the other day, so I popped the hatch and noticed one of my subs was literally falling out. The screws had completely came out of multiple locations.

To temporarily fix this, I simply turned the sub a bit to drill new holes, but I'd like to know if there is a way to make the box "good as new" again. Wood fill? Pre-drilling tips?

Thanks for any help

is t he box carpeted? u could just make a new baffle with new cut outs.
Yes it's carpeted. To be honest, it could use a new carpet job. I don't know what you mean by new baffle and cut outs though?

Yes it's carpeted. To be honest, it could use a new carpet job. I don't know what you mean by new baffle and cut outs though?
I don't mean any offense, but not knowing those terms means you aren't really experienced enough to attempt the repair. It would be worth your while to just leave them turned. There is nothing functionally wrong.

basically you remove the part of the box with the sub cutouts and replace it with a new board. its also possible to do this with just a new board with holes in the same locations, and attach it to the existing baffle with glue and screws.

to make sure this doesnt happen again, make sure the sub fits snug into the cutouts, predrill your holes, or use tee nuts.

basically you remove the part of the box with the sub cutouts and replace it with a new board. its also possible to do this with just a new board with holes in the same locations, and attach it to the existing baffle with glue and screws.
to make sure this doesnt happen again, make sure the sub fits snug into the cutouts, predrill your holes, or use tee nuts.
this.. take out face of your box (board with holes in it) trace circles on new board and jig it out.. not the best way but its how i do it.. lol.. best way is router but im too lazy to set it up. i just use it for making things purty

I wouldn't be so quick to recommend tracing the old cutouts onto the new baffle. There's a good chance this issue occurred because the original cutouts were larger than they should've been. Besides, it's difficult to remove an old baffle if the box is assembled correctly...and double baffle never hurts.

I don't mean any offense, but not knowing those terms means you aren't really experienced enough to attempt the repair. It would be worth your while to just leave them turned. There is nothing functionally wrong.
I wasn't aware that you could (or more importantly should) even take an enclosure apart. This box was pretty well put together and I'm not really comfortable trying to remove the front baffle as you guys refer to it. Unfortunately, since I've had 5 or 6 boxes over the past few years, I regularly allowed other people to use them as I changed cars, and one person in particular absolutely abused the box. I'd assume he inserted and removed 10 different subs atleast 10 times in one summer. The box was originally created for JL w6's back in 03 or 04, and I haven't used it since then. I now have two type R's in it that absolutely sound amazing in my opinion (compared to the 2 12w3's I just sold).

I'm actually thinking about building an enclosure to specs for the Type R's, or atleast having one built.

just leave be or if you really think its a problem just take the subs out and push some wood filler into the holes from inside the enclosure to cover em up. Just dont use the holes after you fill em.

egg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.