awp

Does amp need to match subs?

I just got 2 kicker comp 10s with 50-150 watts RMS and 300 watts peak. do i need to get an amp with 600 watts to get the true potential out of my subs or could the amp i get be like 170 watt?

but to answer you question, you need to match the RMS not the peak. You do not want to run the peak power all the time because you will damage the subs. If the subs are 150w RMS, then find an amp that does 150. You can probably go as high as 175w and be safe but 300w would be way too much. Of course they may be able to handle it, I have no experience with those subs. Ask in one of the other forums and you would get a better answer.

but to answer you question, you need to match the RMS not the peak. You do not want to run the peak power all the time because you will damage the subs. If the subs are 150w RMS, then find an amp that does 150. You can probably go as high as 175w and be safe but 300w would be way too much. Of course they may be able to handle it, I have no experience with those subs. Ask in one of the other forums and you would get a better answer.

In reality probly better off shooting for the max because after you figure in amp effeciency and imp rise you are not going to get what the amp says it can do

You can get any size amplifier you want. If your amplifier is smaller than the subwoofers then you may not be able to get max output but that depends on the rest of the system as well. If your amplifier is significantly larger than what the subwoofers can handle then you will risk blowing them from too much power. If you keep your gains at the appropriate levels, though, you will be good. I would get a larger amp, keep the gains modest and then I'd have an amp I could use if I wanted to upgrade to better subwoofers later.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By aaron7114
      Like the title says I'm looking to buy one 08 dual 4 ohm 15" kicker L7 to replace one of mine that has locked up on me. Let me know shipped price to Arkansas. Thanks
    • By fontanaaa
      So I just got a jl audio 12w6v2 sub for my truck and I am having trouble deciding on the right amp. I've been looking at 3 main options but I am open for any suggestions.

Option 1: PIONEER GM-D8400M
      PIONEER GM-D8400M 1200 WATT MONO CAR AMPLIFIER AMP - eBay (item 390221734181 end time Aug-02-10 06:55:53 PDT)

Option 2: KICKER 08 ZX750.1 750W
      KICKER 08 ZX750.1 750W CLASS D AMP MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIER: eBay Motors (item 400132733992 end time Jul-29-10 20:54:35 PDT)

Option 3: JL 500/1
      500/1 JL AUDIO 1 CH SUB AMP MONO 500 WATT AMPLIFIER NEW - eBay (item 120596922041 end time Aug-15-10 17:50:58 PDT)

I would be buying the 500/1 used because its out of my price range so what do you think?
    • By TenguC
      Recently I bought a pair of Polk Audio DXI 460P Speakers for my doors and a pair of Kenwood KFC-6993PS speakers for my back. The door speakers can handle 50 Watts RMS and the back speakers can handle 120 Watts RMS. I am looking for an Amplifier to power them.

I have come up with a few different Amps that I am considering.

1. (My first choice) An MB Quart Discus amp that is going for 83.47 on Amazon.
      Amazon.com: MB Quart Discus DSC450 200 Watt A/B Class 4-Channel…
      I have heard MB Quart makes good Amplifiers and this seems to suit my needs, but I have also heard some bad things about Mb Quart as well.

2. A Refurbished Rockford Fosgate R300-4 that is going for 114.95. It can produce 50 watts RMS to four channels at 4 ohms.
      Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R300-4 300 Watt Multi Channel Amplifier: Electronics

3. A Kicker 08ZX200.4 amp for 99.99 with free shipping on Crutchfield. It can only produce 35 watts RMS.
      Kicker 08ZX200.4 4-channel car amplifier — 35 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

4. (My absolute last choice due to price.) An Alpine MRP-F300. It can do 50 watts to all four channels but will also cost me the most money.
      Amazon.com: Alpine MRP-F300 - Amplifier - V-Power - 4-channel: Automotive

I am almost broke from this audio adventure and the Amp is the last thing I am buying for now. Out of those can you please tell me which is the best and worth the money?
    • By maxmar04
      Hey I'm trying to delcie between 2 2" kicker l7's or 2 12" fi ssd12. I'm mainly looking looking for SPL but i would like to try to get some SQ. Also they will b going in a ported box. Plz don't try and Recommend another sub I hate it when ppl do that it just confuses me more.
    • By woody2193
      Alright guys so currently i have 2 10 inch sony xplods and they actually do sound ok and are fairly loud. (i didnt have much money at the time i bought them and they are louder than my friends 2 type r 12s) I have them hooked up to a lanzar vibe 268 which is supposedly 1000 watts rms. (i know it actually doesnt do this.)

I'm looking to upgrade these subs with 2 12s due to the extra room i have in my trunk. I want to stay cheap but i do have a job now so i can actually spend a little more. The ideal subs would be between 300-500 rms.

currently i have the re audio sr12d4 and the kicker cvr12 in mind. Which of these subs would u go with with my amp? I have researched the re audio but i cant really find many reviews for it and im not an expert on subs. I'm also open to other suggestions for some subs around this price range. I'm looking for something that pounds but also sounds good while doing so.

I would also like to replace my battery with a car audio battery. The car is a 1999 eclipse gs-t if that narrows down sizes at all ( cant measure the battery cause its storming right now). Any suggestions for the battery?