The Offical $150 SPL Challenge w/rules

pro-rabbit
5,000+ posts

OKC, OK
***Official Rules of THE $150 SPL CHALLENGE!!***

-All items must be new(with links to EVERY DAY pricing..I don't care if it is an ebay store or other sites) *

-Classes are Class A -Trunk, Class B- Hatch and SUV, and Class C- Truck (all classes will be a "basic stock" format)

-Must be ran on a 12-14 volt electrical

-2 "Records" will be set for each class. Outlaw** Legal***

-No limit on amount of subs or amps

-No limit on batteries or wire size(many will just be tossing this in and there is no need to run a stupid 8 or 4 gauge wire just for this)

-MUST be in the "cargo" area of a vehicle

-$150 limit to include purchase of sub(s) and amp(s). Other materials, taxes, shipping will not be included in the total price.

-Must be a video of the run, with proof in the video that the product purchased for $150 is what is producing the score.

-Season will run from Feb 1st to Nov 1st. I will personally give out plaques to those who are current record holders at the end of the season.

-All runs must use a TermLab to produce the score.

*-No internet specials of any kind. Must be daily prices from ebay or other sites with no discounts.

**-Outlaw as described per USACi rules.

***-Legal as described per DB Drag rules.

If pricing gets to be an issue, I will implement a similar rule used in racing for motors. If any other member wishes to purchase any other members sub(s) and amp(s) for $150(plus shipping) then it would have to be sold. Again, this will only be implemented if pricing becomes a issue.

Please do not post dump or anything of the sort in this thread(Use this thread to post questions/comments). This thread is for official rules and results only.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great idea! Too bad it will be hard for the guys on a $150 budget to have access to a meter. If there was any way to organize this better so people could meet up and meter their cars, it would help it grow. Anything to get people back into car audio and not have to spend $1000's to compete. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So...should I go for style points or try supah hard...? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I'm game if I have any "fun" money left after my summer build and some new practice gear. If I'm in debt, I'll sit it out.

Regardless, great idea. Should be fun, cheap, and a good memory. Makes me enjoy my hatch!

Please do not clutter up this thread. The meter issue is being discussed in the other thread. There is a link in the original post here.

-no more then 3/4" mdf with no more then 1 1" dowel for bracing. Double Baffled front is ok.
What about window bracing or any other type? I think the (1)1" dowel is too limiting if that's the only choice...

What about window bracing or any other type? I think the (1)1" dowel is too limiting if that's the only choice...
The idea is to some what limit everything some what. I don't see in a $150 build were you would need more then a 1" dowel with a double face. No one will get that much flex I don't think.

As for window bracing, are you talking about in the car? If so, no not allowed.

Needs more regulation. Cone area limit or power. Theres going to be far too many people with different amounts of subs and power to try and compare. Make it back down to ingenuity imo.

Needs more regulation. Cone area limit or power. Theres going to be far too many people with different amounts of subs and power to try and compare. Make it back down to ingenuity imo.
Dude...go put together a "spl" setup for 150 bucks...there's not very many choices. Now let's stop cluttering this thread

I don't see how that's going to happen with a 150 dollar budget. you only be able to afford 1 sub and 1 amp.

and I think this is a great idea I will definitely be participating.

The idea is to some what limit everything some what. I don't see in a $150 build were you would need more then a 1" dowel with a double face. No one will get that much flex I don't think.
As for window bracing, are you talking about in the car? If so, no not allowed.
No, window bracing inside the box. I'll give an example for you;

24764_385381692179_285118207179_3709590_371864_n.jpg

Called "window bracing" because it has a frame around the outside and is open in the middle. The most effective bracing there is...I can't think of a reason not to allow it? Most people won't go through the hassle anyway, but I want to know if it's an option.

No, window bracing inside the box. I'll give an example for you;
24764_385381692179_285118207179_3709590_371864_n.jpg

Called "window bracing" because it has a frame around the outside and is open in the middle. The most effective bracing there is...I can't think of a reason not to allow it? Most people won't go through the hassle anyway, but I want to know if it's an option.
Why must everyone push and push on the rules. I will simply remove all enclosure restrictions for this year. No need to be an ass, I know what it is and why it is called that, however your question was vague and could be interpreted in any way. I don't see anyone creating enough pressure to need that amount of bracing though.

Also, please post in the other thread to debate all rule changes and no longer clutter up this thread. I will be asking a mod to clean this up(and/or move posts to were they need to be).

dude, that's too limiting. that has to do with the design of the box by the builder. why are we limiting that? how is this not too limiting if my idea to even the playing field by using scores of two different notes?

dude, that's too limiting. that has to do with the design of the box by the builder. why are we limiting that? how is this not too limiting if my idea to even the playing field by using scores of two different notes?
Read the rules of this sticky then please post in the correct area.

Thank You.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.