Narrowed it down to 4 component sets which would u choose and y

Participant count
  • Participants list

asianinvasion21
10+ year member

ai217
Just got a RSX and these are the 4 component sets i have narrowed down to in my budget. I have only heard the Alpines and the focals. I have a pair of type r comps now and im pretty satisfied. I heard the type x comps and they had a noticeable difference from the type r comps. So far the type x's are my first choice. I have also heard the focal polyglass and it almost sounded as if the speakers were lacking something perhaps they were just not tuned correctly in my friends setup. I mostly listen to rap/hip-hop/RnB. The image dynamics and rainbow comps are on the list because ive heard nothing but good things about them unfortunately ive never heard them. Any input would be helpful. Thx...

Alpine spx-17ref

Rainbow SLX 265 or CSX 265

Focal Polyglass 165 Vr

Image Dynamics CTX65CS

I would go focal because a friend has heard them and said they were best he has ever heard. I haven't heard them tho //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Really just going to be personal taste regardless so what sounds good to me, wont sound good to the other guy and so on.

To my ears, with what you have listed the rainbows sound the best, then the ID, then the alpines and finally the focals. I listen to different music though.

To me the rainbows have the best sound with great highs, great mids and good lows.

The ID good highs, good mids and good lows.

The alpines, scratchy up top, good in the middle and disappointing lows.

Focals harsh as hell highs. good mids and disappointing lows.

^^^ have you ever listen to these comp sets in a car? or all on a sounding board?

I think a listening a comp set in a shop can give you more of tonality within the mids, & you can tell more of how a tweeter may sound.

But once they are installed in a car door its a different sound.

I would ask the manager if they have a demo car that that you could listen too.

When i bought my Boston Pro's they where on a open sounding board next to some ADS comps, Pioneer comps,Mac Intosh,Nakamichi & JL's.

I thought at the time that tey sounded the best, but once i installed them in my car they never where on par at least to my ears.

I had later on compared them to Focal's,ID's & Zapco.

I have regret ever not asking more question before spending $599.

So what i'm saying is if you can find someone local that a good-great install for you to listen to any of the comp sets that you want to buy.

It wil help you make a better choice in the long run

^^^ have you ever listen to these comp sets in a car? or all on a sounding board?I think a listening a comp set in a shop can give you more of tonality within the mids, & you can tell more of how a tweeter may sound.

But once they are installed in a car door its a different sound.

I would ask the manager if they have a demo car that that you could listen too.

When i bought my Boston Pro's they where on a open sounding board next to some ADS comps, Pioneer comps,Mac Intosh,Nakamichi & JL's.

I thought at the time that tey sounded the best, but once i installed them in my car they never where on par at least to my ears.

I had later on compared them to Focal's,ID's & Zapco.

I have regret ever not asking more question before spending $599.

So what i'm saying is if you can find someone local that a good-great install for you to listen to any of the comp sets that you want to buy.

It wil help you make a better choice in the long run
This

Even if soundboards were even close to sounding like a real install, you have the soft and hard surfaces of the interior. The angles to deflect the sound or absorb it. And usually a mounting location that is not ideal for the best sound to begin with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.