Using small subs as main drivers?

bunkerking09
10+ year member

Current Status: Win
So since I work at Best Buy I get a mega discount on Kicker products...flame on me now...anyway... I'm pretty content with how my tweeters sound, just trying to get a little bit more out of the 6.5's that I have now.

So I got the crazy idea to run the CompVT 6.5" sub as my main driver, and use the 500.4 Kicker IX to power them, and then using the remaining 4 channels that I have on my headunit for the tweeters and using it as a crossover.

Anyone see any issues with this? I literally get all of the 6.5" subs for the price of (1) set of components that I was looking at, so I figured this would be a much cheaper way to go. Not to mention I'll have either (2) 8's in the back of (1) 10".

Good luck getting that sub to play high enough, cleanly enough, to be a mid in a comp set.
this is what I was mostly worried about. I was thinking that since the cone is so small it may be a bit more responsive than something that was bigger. I just don't have any experience with components (yet, always ran coaxial) to know what the difference is. I'm guessing these are gonna be a LOT more stiff than a regular component speaker. But other than that I don't see the difference. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

this is what I was mostly worried about. I was thinking that since the cone is so small it may be a bit more responsive than something that was bigger. I just don't have any experience with components (yet, always ran coaxial) to know what the difference is. I'm guessing these are gonna be a LOT more stiff than a regular component speaker. But other than that I don't see the difference. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
Not necessarily more stiff. They're just not designed to play those frequencies. The same way people say they want to replace their 6x9s to get more bass out of them. When those speakers aren't designed to play those low frequencies and all they're doing is distorting the signal and blowing speakers.

Since we are on the subject, anyone have any good suggestions?

I'm not the biggest Kicker fan. I mean I like them, they're alright. But I've ran stuff like DD, Sundown, and IA for years. But I get these Kicker Comps for SOOOO cheap it's hard for me to pass up.

Think I could get anything better than the Q Series comps for under $160? Cause thats ABOUT what I get it for -_-

yea, not to many

however, when we do shows there is a good amount of people there...not like Texas shows..but still a good amount..no idea were they come from...LOL Guess they stay silent on the forums.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.