RCA/Signal cable question

Participant count
  • Participants list

phenryiv1
10+ year member

Custom user title
I want to run a signal cable from the HU to under the seat of my WRX. In my last car (a Legacy) I ran it through the center console, which seems like the most simple and direct route.

All was fine, except every time one of my cell phones would ring, the signal would be come distorted due to the interference from the wireless signal. I always mute the stero (or turn it off) once the call comes in, but I still got blasted with noise as the call came in (and before I could shut things off). Also, the interference was the same volume regardless of listening volume, so turning off the HU was the best solution.

The last time, I bought a (supposedly) quality cable and used the shortest run possible.

Is there a cable brand/type/model that is good at eliminating or minimizing the impact of wireless interference? I am about to do the install in the WRX and want to get it right the first time.

You had something going on there other than interference from the wireless signal. There is a ton of RF energy from cell phones coursing through your car all the time, whether your phone is ringing or not.
That is probably true, but the only time that I had audible interference was for the instant before the phone rang and while it was ringing.

That is when your phone is negotiating with the tower and when it transmits at the highest power. I'd guess your rca cable was the right length to act as a great cell phone antenna. If I were you this time, I'd run it down the side of the car under the trim panels. You also didn't meantion your HU, the phones proximity to it's antenna lead or anything. Even if your HU isn't set to play the radio, it can still get interference from there. A little experimentation is necessary, but running it where i said should help. How can rf get into your rca's if they are surrounded by a ground in most directions? It would be pretty tough.

I'll try the re-routing. Any preferred brand that won't break the bank? I'll need to buy a new one anyway, so I might as well buy something worthwhile.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.