Tempest Batteries?

Participant count
  • Participant list

HomeLite
10+ year member

Ok so I'm looking to be able to power amplifiers pulling a max of 140 amps according to fuse ratings. So I'm looking for a relatively cheap battery in the back. What would I need? I was thinking about the Kinetik HC1400 but it's $180, which a bit on the expensive side. I also hear that Kinetiks are overrated for what they are. I was looking into the brand called Tempest. They make batteries mainly for wheelchairs and power backups. They are a heck of a lot cheaper. And I've heard others swear by them. Would I need a particular kind?

Would this work?

TR65-12   Tempest AGM, Valve Regulated, Maintenance Free, Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Battery

It is labelled as a car audio battery and has a rating of 71ah. Any other ideas?

Ok so I'm looking to be able to power amplifiers pulling a max of 140 amps according to fuse ratings. So I'm looking for a relatively cheap battery in the back. What would I need? I was thinking about the Kinetik HC1400 but it's $180, which a bit on the expensive side. I also hear that Kinetiks are overrated for what they are. I was looking into the brand called Tempest. They make batteries mainly for wheelchairs and power backups. They are a heck of a lot cheaper. And I've heard others swear by them. Would I need a particular kind?
Would this work?

TR65-12***Tempest AGM, Valve Regulated, Maintenance Free, Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Battery

It is labelled as a car audio battery and has a rating of 71ah. Any other ideas?
1400 is rated to support 1400 watts always has been. When people ruin batteries ie let a battery sag to 11 volts for weeks/months or leave a battery hooked up in a car that is not driven for months then try to charge it off an alternator do not know how to take care of a battery. You need to keep an AGM battery resting in between 12.7 to 13 volts while it is in a car. (measured with a DMM with the car off and not on a charger or started for 5 plus hours) If you leave it sag to 12 volts or under you are allowing an alternator to do something it was not designed to do and you will cause wear and tear on it.. An alternator is a bulk maintainer that can charge a battery to about 90% where a good intelligent charger can charge to 95% or more. Seems like a small advantage until you understand that eventually you will lose that 10% of uncharged battery. Lose half as much over the sametime means your battery will last twice as long.

The 1400 under the hood of my truck is going on 7 years old and I ran it down to under 12 volts over the last 2 weeks accidently leaving my lights on. Charged it back up with a ctek charger and now rests at 12.98 volts and when it was at 11.6 volts it was still starting my truck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.