Honda Fit USB question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bob Saget

Banned
Seattle, WA
I'm installing an XM Commander in my aunts Honda Fit tomorrow. The factory h/u has an aux. button with two options. A 3.5mm headphone jack on the radio face & a usb in the glovebox. I wanted to hook up the XM tuner box via aux, opposed to using the fm transmitter box. I purchased a cable from Radio Shack that has RCA's on one end & a usb on the other. However, reading up on the Fit it seems the 3.5mm jack on the radio is the main aux. in & the usb is only for thumb drives or iPhone. Using the RCA--usb cord will I not be able to get sound? I can use the fm transmitter if this won't work, I'd just rather have used the aux. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

FUUU you sound retarded, just get 3.5 to 3.5 and be done, RCA to USB lol wtf?
Do you have any idea how ghetto it would look with the XM Commander flush mounted in the dash, with the brain & all the wiring behind the dash, & a random cord ran from under the dash & plugged into the h/u.

shouldn't throw stones in a glass trailer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif ............

Amazon.com: 3 RCA to USB Cable: Electronics

shouldn't throw stones in a glass trailer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif ............

Amazon.com: 3 RCA to USB Cable: Electronics

Did you read the description?

Product DescriptionProduct Description

This cable allows you to view pictures and videos from camcorders on your USB-enabled television or on your PC.

This item does not come with any software and HDE cannot provide any.

THIS CABLE WILL NOT WORK FOR CONNECTING A COMPUTER TO A TV. You cannot get an image signal through a USB port that way. This cable is not transferring data or files, it is only for viewing images on RCA-equipped camcorders.

Did you read the description?
Yes, I did. However, I see that you did not........ fucking noob

Technical Details

• 1 x USB male connector
  • 1 x male RCA video, 2 x male RCA audio
  • View images and videos from camcorders on USB-enabled TVs and PCs.
  • This cable does not transfer data, it is only for viewing images

that was just an image.........
the one I ordered has the RCA connected to the left & right audio signals of the usb
Maybe THIS will help

pinoutUSB.jpg

If the Honda fit usb works with the line out on an ipod, then I'm pretty sure it should work with the rca outputs on the XM Commander. Before you do the install tho you could hook up your ipod to an aux to rca cable then plug that into the rca to usb cable you bought. If you get sound then you should be good to go.

Maybe you should read up on the link you posted?

Device classes

USB3 defines class codes used to identify a device’s functionality and to load a device driver based on that functionality. This enables every device driver writer to support devices from different manufacturers that comply with a given class code.

Device classes include:[7]

ClassUsageDescriptionExamples00hDeviceUnspecified[8](Device class is unspecified. Interface descriptors are used for determining the required drivers.)01h Interface Audio Speaker, microphone, sound card, MIDI02hBothCommunications and CDC ControlModem, Ethernet adapter, Wi-Fi adapter03hInterfaceHuman interface device (HID)Keyboard, mouse, joystick05hInterfacePhysical Interface Device (PID)Force feedback joystick06hInterfaceImageWebcam, scanner07hInterfacePrinterLaser printer, inkjet printer, CNC machine08hInterfaceMass storageUSB flash drive, memory card reader, digital audio player, digital camera, external drive09hDeviceUSB hubFull bandwidth hub0AhInterfaceCDC-Data(This class is used together with class 02h—Communications and CDC Control.)0BhInterfaceSmart CardUSB smart card reader0DhInterfaceContent securityFingerprint reader0EhInterfaceVideoWebcam0FhInterfacePersonal HealthcarePulse monitor (watch)DChBothDiagnostic DeviceUSB compliance testing deviceE0hInterfaceWireless ControllerBluetooth adapter, Microsoft RNDISEFhBothMiscellaneousActiveSync deviceFEhInterfaceApplication-specificIrDA Bridge, Test & Measurement Class (USBTMC),[9] USB DFU (Direct Firmware update)[10]FFhBothVendor-specific(This class code indicates that the device needs vendor specific drivers.)

What I'm getting at here is the fact that the Honda fit has a USB™ port. It's a DIGITAL only input. It does not accept analogue inputs VIA the USB no matter how hard you try.
So what you're telling me is that when my aunt plays music in her car with her iPhone via the USB port it's magic?

If the Honda fit usb works with the line out on an ipod,
It doesn't, it works like a USB input, cause it's a USB input. It will control & charge an iPod/iPhone, and can play music from a flash drive. It read digital files and the head unit decodes the files and plays the music.

The car has a 1/8" analogue audio input for analogue audio.

So what you're telling me is that when my aunt plays music in her car with her iPhone via the USB port it's magic?
No, I'm telling you that when anyone plays music in a car via a USB port (be it, iPhone, iPod, flash drive etc....) the data transmission over the USB cable is 100% digital, and done over the 2 data wires (pins 2 & 3) of the USB cable.

pins 1 and 4 are reserved for power to charge said iPhone/iPod

ANY USB input will be digital.

When your aunt plays Music in her car via the USB port, she probably also has full control of the iPhone via the head unit as well.

No, I'm telling you that when anyone plays music in a car via a USB port (be it, iPhone, iPod, flash drive etc....) the data transmission over the USB cable is 100% digital, and done over the 2 data wires (pins 2 & 3) of the USB cable.
pins 1 and 4 are reserved for power to charge said iPhone/iPod

ANY USB input will be digital.

When your aunt plays Music in her car via the USB port, she probably also has full control of the iPhone via the head unit as well.
Doesn't change the fact that the audio signal went from her iPhone to ther speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.