03 Grand AM..This is Ridiculous! Please Help!!!!!

bgolightly82
10+ year member

OK guys, so here's the dilema! Bought my new HU (JVC KW-AVX830), went to buy the normal $6 wire harness, then bam! Supposedly you can't go with a generic one, because the dash lights, security system, etc. all have something to do with the HU wiring. So now I have to buy light a $60 harness, but before I do, I wanted to check with you guys! Theres a few of them out there, but now I'm reading that even with those interfaces, you still lose your cruise control and all the other stuff on your steering wheel...wtf! I guess Scosche makes a module for that too, but that's another $60. So I guess my question is, has anybody gone through this that might be able to chime in with some good info? I am going to completely bypass the Monsoon system (running all new speaker wires as well), so does anybody know of an "all-in-one" harness? (for the aftermarket HU and keep steering wheel controls, etc) Or am I just stuck with a $130 HU install (which is by far the dumbest thing I've ever f*ckin heard!) Please help guys, before I sell that p.o.s.....lol

I'm personally using the GMRC-01 at the moment. Here's a link to one on ebay. Their pic only shows the chime box, but I assure you it comes with everything you need other than the antenna adapter. They've treated me fine and I know many other Grand Am owners using the same harness with no issues. This will retain your warning chimes and your ten minute playback with the key off. It will also be 100% plug-n-play. Most listings say it's not compatible with amplified systems, but I also have monsoon and I assure you it's plug-n-play. Scosche also makes one but I think it's more expensive, so I'd stick with the Metra. Here's the antenna adapter you'll want.

You also have the option of a cheap harness. You can use the harness for a sunfire. Metra #70-2003. Here's a link. Two things you have to do to make this work. The stock HU turns on via a signal from the BCM. The more expensive chime harnesses create a new switched source for you, the cheapo harness does not. You'll need to run the red wire on this harness to a new switched power source. If you have the means to check the wires in the ignition harness, there's a switched power source there. Otherwise, you can run the wire to the fuse box on the driver's side of the car and tap into the wipe fuse or any other accessory that only works with the key in "ACC" or "ON". I'm on my second Grand Am now, but I used this cheap harness on the first one. Next thing you need to do is dependent on whether you want to keep monsoon or not. If you plan to bypass all of it, there is no other step. However, if you want to keep it, you'll need to run the blue remote wire from your new deck and tap that into the dark green wire in the stock harness. The dark green wire is the turn on wire for the stock amp so in order for the amp to turn on, you'll need to do this when using the cheap harness.

Any more questions, let me know. I know my way around these cars a bit lol.

whoever said you would lose you cruise control is wrong.....all you would lose is the audio controls on the steering wheel. So the second part is only necessary if you wish to retain your steering wheel controls.

Sweet! Your the man dude...I was just looking at that same harness, there's one on ebay for really cheap right now! So does that allow me to keep my cruise control and stuff too? Also, I'd like to check out your setup, do you have pics? I'll be doin mine over the next couple months or so (cuz it's still freezin here)...I'll get some pics posted

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.