Stock charging sys @14.6, 15.4 , 16, 17 then 18 and poof

Dre20xl
10+ year member

So my truck has been killing alts and volt regs for 2 months, 4 regulators and 3 alts. Ive looked over all of my charging sys and ive even went back to 1 bat, and pulled the alt to bat wire in my big 3 but i think its happening again, it starts out by going from a norm 14.6 up into the low 15s and stays there for a week or so even with headlights, heat, 2 4ch, and a 2ch at full tilt . From there it inches up to 18 and i get paranod bout my amps so i put there fuses and im left with no music. My truck is a 87 dodge d100 pickup wit a lil 318 v8 the only thing being powered by the bat is the lights, heater blower, and of course the ignition sys. Does anyone know wat da hell is happening wit my charging sys cuz im tired of replacing my bats, alts, n volt regs.

I would check all your grounds under the hood. Batt to block and batt to body. U said u already checked ur alt to batt wire so im assuming ur good there. Check that and then go from there.

I would check all your grounds under the hood. Batt to block and batt to body. U said u already checked ur alt to batt wire so im assuming ur good there. Check that and then go from there.
Already did dat and i checked the factory wires, all that was back when the 2nd and again when the 3rd went. I even unwrapped the da harness and chased every wire and rewrapped after the last volt reg.

Does anyone know where i can find a alt with a internal volt reg that will bolt up, it doesnt need to be a highout alt.
Sounds like the factory regulator is acting up for what ever reason. In your case I would run an alt with an external regulator and just bypass the trucks regulator all together. This will guarantee you a working electrical system.

Sounds like the factory regulator is acting up for what ever reason. In your case I would run an alt with an external regulator and just bypass the trucks regulator all together. This will guarantee you a working electrical system.
How would i do that, and wouldnt that make the alt over charge?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.