Amps & Bass: Riddle Me This

Numonet86
10+ year member

This may be a very dumb question, but I'm new to car audio...and I'm very curious whether or not the bass from a sub might mess up your amp? I've seen a lot of setups where people park their amp(s) in a trunk right next to the subs and I can't help but wonder if all that affects it? Of course, I guess it's no more rattle than driving, and technically I believe the soundwaves produced from a sub are the same throughout most cars so it wouldn't matter if it was near or far...can anyone answer me this question?

In theory it could damage a crappy amp, but most people put the amp right on the box or in front of it with huge setups, i always leave mine in front of the sub and never had any problems.

my old mtx btp 75x2 was mounted on a box with a single 10" thunder 5500 , but i was running it daily at 2 ohms bridged and it used to get hella hot. one day i noticed my lights dimming pretty bad and i found that both of the big power caps inside the amp had broke off the board , so yes vibrations can hurt the amp.

So is there any specific place to put your amp or a setup for it that'll protect it a little more? What about heat, is there a way to reduce this (higher quality amp, better placement, etc.)?

So is there any specific place to put your amp or a setup for it that'll protect it a little more? What about heat, is there a way to reduce this (higher quality amp, better placement, etc.)?
if youre worried that your amp might be damaged, cut out a piece of wood matching the size of the amp and place it somewhere in your trunk to keep it somewhat safe from rattling. might add some looks too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Heavy vibration for sustained periods (years) will definitely kill an amp, IMHO. The electrolytic capacitors have fluids in them (electrolyte) and I'm sure its not recommended to be exciting the fluid like an ultrasonic cleaner. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I've had a few amps go bad in time, nothing changed, and the only thing I can really equate it to is having the amp mounted directly to the box, on its side. In my last 2 installs, I mounted the amps at least a foot away from the sub box.

Cool....well I guess with all except the weakest subs, your amp has no place to hide really...perhaps there is technology to figure out a way to have something absorb most of the soundwaves around the amp, but for a beginner like me, I'll just find a sturdy place to stick the amp to keep road bumps from doing their work on them...

I guess I should clarify a little... As long as your amp isn't mounted directly to your box, you really won't have any problems. Most amp owner's manuals state not to install the amp directly to the subwoofer box. My feeling is that they also don't want their customers introducing lots of harmonic/sonic vibrations directly into the amp.

Mounting the amp a few inches away from the box is adequate to avoid vibration/sonic problems from the subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.