Northeast Region SQ in the Northeast?

CT,DC,DE,MA,MD,NH,NJ,NY,PA,RI,VT,WV

SPL Blazer
10+ year member

SPL Event Promoter
It seems that only USACi is offering a Sound Quality format at their events here in the Northeast, which makes me wonder if SQ is something that NESPL should also look into offering in 2011. I don't want to take away from the SQ at USACi shows by any means, but I have had several people ask me throughout the season if we also do SQ, unfortunately we don't, except for a few shows at Boomer McLoud in NH, but they handle that part. With NESPL we already have SPL classes as well as Music classes (Slammin Bass), what do competitors think of adding SQ to our events in 2011? It probably wouldn't be something offered at every show, but a majority of them......at least for 2011. Let me know some thoughts on this.

I have never competed in SQ before, but have asked a few questions and watched some judging of it, so it looks easier than it really is. It won't be hard to get a meter, just a matter of buying the RTA add on for Term-Lab for $300. Learning to use the RTA meter will be a big challenge since nobody around here has it. Not everyone uses an RTA for SQ judging, but it becomes judge dependent on the sound when it's not used. Using an RTA will help keep it a level playing field for competitors, just like using a Term-Lab for judging SPL.

you cant just use rta. that wont tell you it sounds good
I know, thats a downside to SQ judging. I talked to a guy on the phone last night that used to do SQ comps. There was always an issue at each event about what a judge liked to hear, one liked more bass, another liked less, one judge liked the 5.1 surround sound, others don't, one judge liked rear fill, others don't, some judges take away points for missing a cover on your battery terminals, or not using all the same gauge wire under the hood, and this was all within the same org, Slap.

I'd like to do this, but I want to keep it even with the judging on sound, thats why I figure scoring by the RTA is a better option than just going by what I like to hear. What happens in the future if I need someone else to do the SQ judging for me and they don't like the same sound as me? Thats not going to be fair to the SQ competitor that has designed their system around what a single judge likes to hear. I was told this type thing scared away lots of SQ competitors and potential competitors. SQ and SPL alike are on the decline around here so I'd like to do whatever it takes to bring it back up.

True, either use RTA or it's totally based upon personal tastes of the "judge". That's probably why nobody does it. A flat line on RTA doesn't sound good period and too many people will get buthurt if it's just somoene's opinion. Best option would be having 3 judges opinions and averaging, still factors like a comfortable car, or certain brand names in prominent view may easily have an effect on how SQ it is perceived to be.

If you wanted to do it, I'd say have very few classes to actually encourage competition.

At the Boomer McLoud shows in Nashua they have always done their own SQ format while I run the SPL. When I asked about the SQ last year he said there were two ways of judging with an RTA, one was the flatline like you mentioned, and there was another way that I forget. The flatline sounds like crap, but the other way was closer to how people actually listen to their music, I need to call them and find out exactly how they do it so I can try this way too.

Either way good work Steve. Im glad your working around what competitors want. Maybe if everyone else hoped on board this sport wouldnt be dwindling down year after year.

Some orgs do ask for input on classes, some require you to submit a formal request to their board of directors, others just ask online. I think everyone makes minor changes during the off season, some only effect a few people so we never notice. Orgs don't normally like to make changes in rules if there's no real need for it.

I've heard quite a few people last season mention that they want to compete with their daily systems, and not just pull up and burp for 30 seconds a weekend. Our Slammin Bass format gives the Bassheads this other option, so we're thinking an SQ portion can give those that have a really nice sounding and nice looking system a chance to compete too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

SPL Blazer

10+ year member
SPL Event Promoter
SPL Blazer
Peabody, Massachusetts, United States
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date