2005 nissan altima -massive audio- jbl ms8- 5.1 project

AAAAAAA
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have started a 5.1 project, this is the first time I am attempting surround sound in the car. The altima is perfect for this as it has a large fatory opening for a center speaker.

MS8 with logic 7 will be decoding the stereo output to 5.1 and most of the gear is massive audio

HU

Pioneer avh p4200

speakers

massive audio ck5 and ck6

Amps

Massive audio Nano NX5's

Subs

Massive audio 10's that are no longer made (I might be upgrading)

Lets start with some pics

Batt is a an orbital

38810584038_large.jpg

Here is a beefy pic of one of the comps from the CK5 set

38810584037_large.jpg

Here is a pic of one of thse NX5 amps I am running. these things have a tiny foot print but big power

100 x 4rms @ 4ohm + 800 x 1rms @ 1ohm

The box it comes in is nice, it opens like a treasure chest.

38810584054_medium.jpg

I really like the sleak black look.

38810584057_medium.jpg

They are stackable to, I will try and get pics of them stacked sometime.

Here is a messy pic of the the component boxes, they also open like a treasure chest.

38810584019_large.jpg

Here I am prepping the center channel area.

38810584012_large.jpg

38810584021_medium.jpg

test fit

the speaker is mounted behind the baffle and I used the coaxial mount adapter- that usually gets mounted to the speaker frame -onto the speaker ring. this adapter adds some usefull versatility to the set.

38810584025_large.jpg

38810584026_large.jpg

Unfortunetly the tweeter sticks ou to much and I don't want to use the stock grillas it would'nt be asthetecially pleasing IMO. Anyone have any ideas?

I put down some deadener on the door and cut an MDF ring to fit the CK6 mid on. That mid can go low and has great midbase output. I was pleasently surprised at the results from these guys. right now I am not using a sub and have them HP @ 50hz, this is far from ideal but they get low and have lots of impact. My like!

38810584030_large.jpg

I really need to get a better pibture of those nano amps, those things look great with the black anodized heat sink.

Here is where I ran the pwoer wire, along where the hood release goes.

38810584027_large.jpg

It is 0awg CCA wire form some no name brand.

Before I installed the batt, the CAI is one of the best mods for the altima, it is a cosmo racing CAI, good quality but cheep in price.

38810584028_large.jpg

Got me a bunch of these wallmart rolls of profesionnal grade speaker wires hehehe. The stuff is blue like the car and is just the awg I wanted and the price is certainly right.

38810584031_large.jpg

Scoche stuff is surprisingly decent, I got a bunch of their RCA's from sonicelectronix to and for the price it's hard to beat, I prefer them to the monster XLN pro I also have (not for sonic reasons of course).

I used this stuff to cover the pinholes in the bondo.... it worked surprisingly well, and it is super easy to use. It will only work on pin holes though.

38810584040_large.jpg

I tried spray painting the center speaker area but I don't like the results

38810584039_large.jpg

So I am attempting something different all together now, no pics yet

With some slight mods to the factory rear speaker adapter, the CK5 mids sliped right in. I love it when it is this easy.

38810584052_medium.jpg

38810584053_medium.jpg

Here we can see the CK5's in coaxial mount config. I love the flexibilty but I don't like that there is no "wire management" and that if one chooses to go the coaxial route, the stock grils will no longer fit. Luckely I wasn't intending to use the stock grills for the rears.

38810584056_medium.jpg

I screwed in the xovers onth the back of the stock panel, I had to trim away some of that door foam to make it fit, I screwed them into the foam and also glued them.

38810584058_medium.jpg

Still not done yet, center channel is in and will comment later this week with pictures.

As for the massive amps. I love their aesthetics and form factor. I am a sucker for small and rectangular amps with simple clean heat synchs. I have the audioprecision bench test for these and they as do as they say 120 x 4 @4ohms and 800 x 1 @1 ohm. Hard to beat watts\cubic inch. They are my favorite to date for those reasons. Big power but tiny.

I won't get into any specific amp sound details because there is no way to compare amps in different installs(I am one of those guys who don't beleive much in amplifier sonic fingerprints //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ). I will say that noise floor is pretty low on them, no problems with engine noise, no problems with turn on\off pop. They have good protection as well as stacking capabilities and remote sub level control. I really REALLY love these guys. The only thing I wish they had was more flexible xovers. front's can only do high pass. Rears can't do bandpass(like most amps anyway) . Sub xovers are fine though with both low pass and subsonic filter.

The xover and gain knobs are "detent" based as in they click as you turn them so it should be easy to match or to set gain levels and xovers. I prefer this over the knob that turns freely. Unfortunately there is no detent chart to go along with them so their benefit is a bit nullified.

Here we go

The new shallow 5 1\4 that will be replacing the other beefier and also to big 5 1\4. This is form the shallow line form massive audio. These little things are pretty. Massive knows how ot make things look good. And they are pretty **** shallow. You can also see the 6.5inch standing in the background. Sweet mid it is.

Afr.jpg

Afr.jpg

Here it is from behind, here is a discoloration that seems quite obvious in the pic, but I can't see it normally. I guess it's just the camera that is particularly detailed.

Afr.jpg

Like the ck series, the SK terminals aren't to exiting

Afr.jpg

Here is a close up of the cone. Very attractive. We can see the cap looks a bit odd, tha's because these can come in coax mode with a tweeter sitting in the place of the cap.

Afr.jpg

Here is a nice pic of the outgoing ck5, good looks once again and since I have 2 that aren't doing anything now, these might go into my kick pods for a 3 way front. Of course I would need yet another amplifier.

Afr.jpg

Now on to replacing it in the dash

The back of the panel doesn't look all that nice hehe.

You can see an extra screw sticking out. This is something we never hear about when guys talk about those hurricane\propel\T nuts, if those things decide to "un-catch" wile tightening or untightening..the screw shall always remain and is essentially unremovable. What a B@$%@!

In any case this thing fits right in.

Afr.jpg

It's to bad the grill hides the cone... the cone looks really good. Dark titanium like.

Now the panel fits perfectly. I am considering changing over all the brown fake wood trim to the textured black, I like ti but I am not sure, what do you guys think? Looks good or out of place?

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.