Potential Setup – Input Please

Participant count
  • Participants list

idiot
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I’ve spent a few months reading this board (and others), considering which parts would make a great system for my car. One of my priorities is to have a stealth install (minus the HU, which I intend to replace, and will obviously be quite evident). I drive a Toyota Matrix (a hatchback/wagon-type vehicle), and there is very little interior space that is not taken up by various compartments and the like, so I had a difficult time with the placement of the sub (since I don’t want to take up any usable space). I choose to put it under the passenger seat, and to put the amps beneath the driver’s seat. Because of diameter and enclosure volume, I’m restricted to an 8” sub. Similarly, I need the amplifiers to be relatively small, else two of them won’t fit under the driver’s seat (less than 13” in length and width, and around 2.5” in height). Oh, I’m mainly looking for a SQ system. I’m hoping that, since the sub will be right up front and only two feet away from me, an 8” in this location won’t be too quiet (as opposed to an 8” that is in the truck of the car with the seats up, for instance). Anyway, here’s what I’m currently looking at:

Head Unit: Undecided… I’ll wait until the new Pioneer/Alpine models are released

Sub: Image Dynamics ID8 V.3 (175-300W RMS, wired to 4 Ohms)

Amp: Profile CL600M (1 x 300W @ 4 Ohms)

Front Components: Image Dynamics CXS62 (150W RMS @ 2 Ohms)

Rear Midbass: Image Dynamics CX62 (150W RMS @ 2 Ohms)

Amp: Profile CL640 (4 x 110W @ 2 Ohms)

I never expected to get an entire system from the same company, but ID has some very attractive products. Their subs are very well regarded, and their speakers have the ability to run at 2 Ohms (which makes choosing a high-powered, good quality, and inexpensive amp much simpler). Still, this setup is hardly final, and I have a few questions.

1) I’m building a sealed enclosure for the sub, which will be about 0.33 cubic feet in volume. Will the ID8 perform well in it? The specs list volume range from 0.2 to 0.45, and I’m right near the middle. Should I aim for something larger? I’ve heard that too small an enclosure will lend only adequate results, in terms of SQ.

2) The reason I’ve chosen the front and rear speakers is a combination of several good things I’ve heard specifically about them (though not many things… I haven’t found a review in any of the usual places), the reputation of ID for excellent SQ, and the fact that they can run at 2 Ohms. I’ve not seen another speaker set that can run at that low an impendence. As a result, I would be able to spend less money on the amp, and more on the speakers.

3) When speaking of midbass (which I want to be fairly strong, since I’d only have a single 8” sub), some people have talked about building an enclosure for the drivers. I was planning on just putting them in the rear doors, stock location. Is this a bad thing to do? Also, I’m not set on the particular model listed above (actually, I’d rather have the IDQ6, but I can’t seem to find a pair separate from ID’s horn-loaded set).

As I said, this setup is hardly final. I’m pretty sure I want the sub and CL600M amp, though I’ll need to know this for sure before I cut the mounting hole in the enclosure (of course, I have to finish the other sides first //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif). But everything else listed above is very tentative, mostly because I’ve heard so few things about those particular speakers. The chosen front components, rear speakers, and four-channel amp would cost me about $500. If not this setup, what could I get in the $500-$600 range? I would need front components (6.5”), rear speakers (also 6.5”, with strong midbass), and an amplifier that could adequately power them (which needs to be less than 13” in length and width, and around 2.5” in height).

I would appreciate any assistance.

Alright. I’ve done further research and found a few other systems that I would consider, which fall into the same general price range.

Front Components: Image Dynamics CXS62 (150W RMS @ 2 Ohms)

Rear Midbass: Image Dynamics CX62 (150W RMS @ 2 Ohms)

Amp: Profile CL640 (4 x 110W @ 2 Ohms)

Front Components: MB Quart PCE 216 (60 – 130W RMS @ 4 Ohms)

Rear Midbass: MB Quart PWE 160 (60 – 130W RMS @ 4 Ohms)

Amp: Profile CL640 (75W x 4 @ 4 Ohms)

Front Components: CDT HD-62EF (120W RMS @ 4 Ohms)

Rear Midbass: CDT HD-6EF (?)

Amp: Visonik V417SX (100W x 4) or V4208 (125W x 4)

At the moment, I’m leaning towards the MB Quart setup, because I like the specs for their midbass driver (it actually is midbass), and the Premium line is spoken of rather highly. Also, I could probably find those in a local shop to test them out, as opposed to the other brands.

I’ve a question about the Visonik amps, though. Are they good, in comparison to Profile’s products? The V4208 is a bit larger than I had wanted, but I may be able to figure something out in order to make it fit. Regardless, the power I want is there, and I want to know if the quality is there as well, or whether Visonik is comparable to Pryamid, BOSS, Legacy, and the like.

A word of warning... stay away from profile amps like the plague. Pretty much anything is better than profile, I, in my personal experience, have seen two bite the bullet in a big cloud of smoke... the only two profile amps I've ever seen.

I would consider a different company for your amps, but if you get any of those component sets, I'll be really jealous //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Strange, as members here first pointed me toward Profile…

4-channel speaker amp

Profile CL640 (75W x 4) - $110

Visonik V4208 (125W x 4) - $170

U.S. Acoustics USX 4085 (85W x 4) - $180

Sub amp

Profile CL600M (300W x 1) - $130

Visonik V2208 (300W x 1) - $90

U.S. Acoustics USX 2100 (300W x 1) - $130

Here’s what a quick scan over amplifier prices and performance gave me. I could easily take either the Profile or U.S. Acoustics amp to power my sub, but the 4-channel amp decision is a bit more difficult. I’ve pretty much discounted the CL640, since it puts out so little power. Many here recommend U.S. Acoustics products, but the 4085 is only 10 watts more powerful than the Profile. The Visonik is attractive, but I’m worried about the quality of the amp (having heard very little about the company). As always, suggestions are welcome.

us are very good for the price... plus they are underrated... rms is taken at like 12.8volts i think... so its a good deal more than 10w per channel... i would guess i good 20 at least...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.