Figuring out ohm loads

Participant count
  • Participant list

ZeroSktr56
10+ year member

poop
Ok people I have a question about my ohm load for my subs. I have a weird system, 1 12" JL Audio 12w0 12 ohm sub, 2 10" Rockford Punch Z subs 8 ohms each. All this in one box and I have a 1 channel alpine amp. Kinda weird huh? well im tryin to figure out the ohm load and im havin a hard time. Does anybody know what that would work out to? 1 12ohm 2 8ohm subs. I appreciate your help.

uh...wow...I don't even know where to begin. All i can tell you that if you hook up subwoofers and the likes to one channle - they really have to be the same model subwoofers with the same ohm loads. You can't mix and match or you might screw something up ESPECIALLY with different subs. If you wanted to do it properly, you'd have to put the JL on one channle xovered differently than the two punch Z's as to avoid cancellation. But omg have you even hooked it up?

EDIT: happy 300th for me :p

Dont hook up subs that are different models/sizes. You will get LOADS of cancellation. Those 8's will be of NO importance at all. It will sound like total crap. Thats all I can tell ya. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif They will play the frequencies different and any SQ you would have had will be totally down the pooper. I would sell all of those and get a single 4 ohm/2 ohm 12". It will sound LOTS better.

Will

The Punch Z 8 ohm subs will be taking the majority of the power anyways compared to the 12ohm JL 12". Like I said in the previous post. Sell all of those and buy a single 2ohm/4ohm 12" and youll hear lots better results.

Will

whoa i had no idea about cancellation and all that. i bought those subs from two different friends for cheap we were messin around with it i guess i need to get a different setup

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.